Leeds on TV: New Series 2017

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
blackprince

Leeds on TV: New Series 2017

Post by blackprince »

Hi ,
Has anyone seen the new TV Series: Love Lies & Records which is set in leeds .
I have seen a couple of episodes and the Town Hall and Corn exchange appear in the opening shots.
Is the registry office in the Town Hall? When I lived in Leeds it was on Park Square.
BP
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

jim

Re: Leeds on TV: New Series 2017

Post by jim »

Moved twice since it was in Park Square blackprince. First to Belgrave Street/Wade lane, then more recently to the Town Hall. I believe the ceremony room at the Town Hall is that once used for payment and receipt of Court awarded maintenance or fines - I'm sure there must be a link in there somewhere!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Actually Jim, according to the LCC website while registry office services are actually carried out in the Town Hall the Registry Office itself is at 2 Great George Street (the building on the corner with Cookridge Street). The Registry Office in the programme BP refers to is actually very clos by being the Mechanic Institute building, now Leeds Museum, on Cookridge Street. At least the entrance/exit clips are because you can usually see Millennium Square and the LGI in the background.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jim

Post by jim »

Thanks for the correction tyke bhoy. As usual the devil is in the detail!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

As i had never heard of this before and next Thursdays episode is the 6th and last in the series, So i had a look on Youtube but was not impressed.
Unfortunately there does not seem to be the Northern T.V. Plays, anymore with a real gripping storyline. The last one i recall was "Happy Valley" with Sarah Lancaster, which i read somewhere is in the process of having another Series made

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

The current Leeds Register Office at 2 Great George Street, Leeds 2, occupies the building which was originally the Central High School (later known as the City of Leeds School).

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

volvojack wrote:As i had never heard of this before and next Thursdays episode is the 6th and last in the series, So i had a look on Youtube but was not impressed.
Unfortunately there does not seem to be the Northern T.V. Plays, anymore with a real gripping storyline. The last one i recall was "Happy Valley" with Sarah Lancaster, which i read somewhere is in the process of having another Series made
Don't despair jack - I expect there will be another series of DI Banks before too long.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Thanks to all for updating me on the relocation of the registry office in Leeds.
According to reviews of the programme some of the scenes are shot in Dewsbury town hall. Most of the exterior shots appear to be Leeds so I guess Dewsbury was used for the interior shots of the registry office.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

blackprince wrote:
volvojack wrote:As i had never heard of this before and next Thursdays episode is the 6th and last in the series, So i had a look on Youtube but was not impressed.
Don't despair jack - I expect there will be another series of DI Banks before too long.

As a coincidence B.P. we were watching a "Touch of Frost ", the episode shows Inspector Mullet walking into the Civic Hall and being interviewed for Promotion. there are quite clear views of the Civic Hall and the Infirmary, a change from the usual episodes where Frost and his oppo are flying around Foundry Lane.

D. I. Banks is O.K. but he has only one sad expression.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

volvojack wrote:
blackprince wrote:

As a coincidence B.P. we were watching a "Touch of Frost ", the episode shows Inspector Mullet walking into the Civic Hall and being interviewed for Promotion. there are quite clear views of the Civic Hall and the Infirmary, a change from the usual episodes where Frost and his oppo are flying around Foundry Lane.
There were also shots of him walking about in Killingbeck Cemetery and one of his female 'Tecs walking down a corridor in Chapel Allerton Hosp. plus some good clear views of the city centre Apartments along the river.

D. I. Banks is O.K. but he has only one sad expression.