Coloured Leeds R.A.F. Officer won D.F.C. in Bomber Command W.W.2.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Coloured Leeds R.A.F. Officer won D.F.C. in Bomber Command W.W.2.

Post by volvojack »

In the early 1960s i used to drink in the Fish Hut, Black Dog and other Pubs off East St. I got to know a coloured lad who was very popular around there., When he learned that i had been in the R.A.F. he told his Father had been an Officer serving during the War on a Bomber flying out of Lincolnshire, though i was impressed it was only recently that i discovered he had been awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and there is a great picture of him and the rest of the Aircrew sat on top of their Halifax Plane. not only that but the Bomber was called "Actung the Black Prince" in honour of him.
Sadly his medals were stolen from his Lodgings in Camp Road but his Son Neville has the Replicas framed on his wall.
If anyone can post the photograph from Google just look up on line "Akin Shenbanjo" and all the gen. should appear.

volvojack

Re: Coloured Leeds R.A.F. Officer won D.F.C. in Bomber Command W.W.2.

Post by volvojack »

Thanks jma. Sadly i don't have the knowhow to put the photo on.

jma

Post by jma »

Image-20-Black-Prince.jpg
Image-20-Black-Prince.jpg (27.85 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
volovojack

I've added the picture, from the link, but I posted the link before so people could read the whole article.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jma"]
Image-20-Black-Prince.jpg
volovojack

I've added the picture, from the link, but I posted the link before so people could read the whole article.

Apologies for jumping the gun, i do appreciate your time and trouble.