A BLACK ART.jpg (427.62 KiB) Viewed 2421 times

hyperion3

Re: SEEN IN LEEDS, 50 SHADES OF BLACK.

Post by hyperion3 »

I take its not a proper post box I.K.B

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

It is used as a private box, set in a street facing wall.

jma

Post by jma »

I wonder if they get stuff posted in it by mistake. I've seen one at a farm gate somewhere around Emley Moor and it was painted in a totally wild colour scheme, presumably to make it look unofficial but it still had a sign saying it was a private letterbox. And that was at the back of beyond so it might be an easy mistake to make in a big city.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

According to The British Postal Museum a collection plate cannot simply be removed and the box put anywhere. If the box is in a public place then the opening should be blocked and the box painted a colour other than red, usually white, black or sometimes grey.
On private land reuse is acceptable provided the box is not be accessible to the public easily, for example within a walled garden. To site a wall-mounted postbox on the edge of a property where it could be accessed and used by the public would not be acceptable. There would also be the question of planning permission if it was on public land. Royal Mail have obtained planning permission for boxes under the Town and Country Planning Act but this does not apply to boxes in private hands. English Heritage now state that postboxes should remain in use wherever possible so Royal Mail would not be selling boxes generally. When Royal Mail sold boxes in the past they drew up a contract of sale that enshrined certain conditions.
The Royal Mail used to sell post and pillar boxes under terms which dictated how and where they would be used. The sale contract stated that the postbox must not under any circumstances be sited so as to confuse a member of the public that it was a genuine Royal Mail postbox. If it was within sight or reach of a public highway, it had to be either painted a different colour or have a notice attached which stated that it was not for use by the general public, or it must not be lockable. It was regarded a crime tantamount to fraud to site a private postbox within reach of the public which could be used by them for posting mail. Lastly, the terms stated that should the new owner of an ex-Royal Mail postbox who no longer wished to keep it had to offer it back to Royal Mail for first refusal before any subsequent resale.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Off the subject a bit but if there is anyone who collects Telephone memorabilia i have a G.P.O.Telephone Bill dated March 1967 for The Highfield Hotel , South Ridge St. which was off Beeston Hill. The Landlord was Joe Hurd and the Bill consisted of Rental £4. for 3 months, 415 dialled units at 2d., Trunk Calls via the Operator £2.10.10.
The Complete Quarterly Bill amounts to £10. 1s. 8d. which was for Public phone and Joes private one.
Anyone who would like this please ask and i will either post it on to you or drop it in when i next visit Leeds.
P.s. The Bill is marked "Paid" so there will be no nasty 50 year old interest demands lurking.