Knee replacement

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
jgl1954

Knee replacement

Post by jgl1954 »

Not really "Leeds" but qualifies for General Chat! Orthopaedic surgeon has told me my knees need new joints, one being worse than the other. I'm petrified of the idea of surgery! I have only had one operation 50-odd years ago and I don't really remember it as I was delirious. Have any of my fellow oldies had it done? Has anyone any words of wisdom for me?

tilly

Re: Knee replacement

Post by tilly »

Hi jgl1954 I have had njne operations since 2010 the last being a hip replacement in 2016 take my advice and go for it.I have had no problems with my hip put your faith in the surgeon he will have done this numerous times.If it was not for the surgeons involved with me i would not be posting this.The thing to do is try to remain positive I was out in three days i was back to normal in about six weeks with no pain and walking normally. I have been taking Devils Claw since my hip operation and my other hip plus my spine have been a lot better i have osteoarthritis in both joints and feel this has helped me you will have to take this for a few weeks to feel the benefit.I am not saying this will make the worst joint better but it could be of benefit to the other one.If you decide to take this get it from Health Monthly through the internet if you get it from them its about eleven pounds for two bottles of one hundred with free postage.I hope members dont mind this post has its not about Leeds.If you need more advice let me know regards Sid.ps i am 75 years young.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Not had anything like that personally, but my Mother had a Hip replacement when she ws 80 years old and recovered extremely well, so much so that before she left the Hospital she was giving advice to other people, much younger, not to be worried about their forthcoming operation.
I have had Heart Aorta valve replacement which was when i was in my 70s and i can say that the N.H.S. treatment, aftercare ect. was wonderful.
If it is of any consequence keep your chin up, i have met quite a view folks who have had various Bone replaceemets and they have been so much better afterwards.
Best Wishes and Kind Regards, Jack Daly.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

jgl1954 wrote:Not really "Leeds" but qualifies for General Chat! Orthopaedic surgeon has told me my knees need new joints, one being worse than the other. I'm petrified of the idea of surgery! I have only had one operation 50-odd years ago and I don't really remember it as I was delirious. Have any of my fellow oldies had it done? Has anyone any words of wisdom for me?
Go for it,you will not regret it.
6 months since mine was done and I don't even think about it any more.
Epidural usually so you hear everything and feel nothing.
65 mins in theatre painful for 2-3 days so make sure you take the meds.
No driving for sbout 6 weeks.
Do the physio exercises and in a short time you WILL be fine.
Best if luck and remember non nhs its about 13 grand !
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

dogduke wrote:
jgl1954 wrote:Not really "Leeds" but qualifies for General Chat! Orthopaedic surgeon has told me my knees need new joints, one being worse than the other. I'm petrified of the idea of surgery! I have only had one operation 50-odd years ago and I don't really remember it as I was delirious. Have any of my fellow oldies had it done? Has anyone any words of wisdom for me?
Go for it,you will not regret it.
6 months since mine was done and I don't even think about it any more.
Epidural usually so you hear everything and feel nothing.
65 mins in theatre painful for 2-3 days so make sure you take the meds.
No driving for sbout 6 weeks.
Do the physio exercises and in a short time you WILL be fine.
Best if luck and remember non nhs its about 13 grand ![/quote ]

I'll echo everything Dog Duke has said above. I had a partial knee replacement in my right knee 6 years ago. The knee has been fine since, almost as good as new! It hasn't stopped me enjoying long country walks. You may find as I did that when the worst knee is fixed the other one is not too bad.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

A cantankerous, live alone, bachelor friend of mine needed both knees doing. He had one done and so upset everyone, didn't do the physio, didn't get much help, or take any professional advice and had pain for months. He didn't have the second one done.

Others of my acquaintance did much better and a much easier time of it. Take all of the help and professional advice offered.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

One other thing,do you need to lose any weight ?

If so get on a diet of some sort.

The knees are I think the greatest weight bearing joints so every little helps
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

jgl1954

Post by jgl1954 »

Thank you all for the encouraging replies. I know that I should just get it done. It's a very common operation these days and it's not on a vital organ but when I thought about ringing to say put me on the list,I felt very anxious,which really isn't like me. I do need to lose weight so that can only be beneficial,and not just for my knees.l feel such a wimp!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Your not a wimp its the unknown that is the problem im lucky with my mindset i tell them jokes when the are putting me out.Just stay positive you will be ok.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jim

Post by jim »

That's one way of making sure they put you out as quickly as they can Tilly!