Knee replacement

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tilly

Re: Knee replacement

Post by tilly »

Thanks for that jim that was my train of thought but on thinking it through they might think twice about bringing me round.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jgl1954

Post by jgl1954 »

Well I'm still being a wimp, but I've been taking cod liver oil since last week and my knee feels so much better! I was dog walking this evening and for the most part I was getting no pain. I don't know if it's the placebo effect or what but I'll see how long this lasts!

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

jgl1954 wrote:Well I'm still being a wimp, but I've been taking cod liver oil since last week and my knee feels so much better! I was dog walking this evening and for the most part I was getting no pain. I don't know if it's the placebo effect or what but I'll see how long this lasts!
Glad the oil helps. I take the omega 3 oil capsules every day.
From experience, I know that you do go through good and bad patches with osteoarthritis in the knees. A bad patch or "flare up" might last a month or so. Knee replacement is major surgery, with all the risks that entails, and should not be entered into lightly. A sign that you really should have the operation is when the pain stops you sleeping properly and you can't walk any distance without a stick. There is not much chance of the NHS giving you an operation before you really need one. A friend of mine was told recently that he would only get the operation when the pain was so bad that he crawled in begging for it. The partial knee op is a less serious operation and suitable for some patients if it is caught early enough but the NHS don't generally offer it.
Best of luck with it whatever you decide!
BP
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Susan M

Post by Susan M »

No you're not a wimp. I'm going through exactly the same thing right now. I also feel very anxious about making that phone call. I have delayed going on the list until I Iose some weight, as I have been told the recovery will be much faster and easier.

jgl1954

Post by jgl1954 »

No, definitely a bit wimpy! I am also trying to lose weight, it can only reduce the strain on the joints. The trouble is, I like anything made by Cadbury's, Mr.Kipling and so forth!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="Susan M"]No you're not a wimp. I'm going through exactly the same thing right now. I also feel very anxious about making that phone call. I have delayed going on the list until I Iose some weight, as I have been told the recovery will be much faster and easier.

Maybe if you and Susan M. make your appointments for your Ops. which make be before weeks or months that could then be an incentive or for you then to shed some weight.
Good luck would you be whatever decide. V. Jack.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jgl1954"]Well I'm still being a wimp, but I've been taking cod liver oil since last week and my knee feels so much better! I was dog walking this evening and for the most part I was getting no pain. I don't know if it's the placebo effect or what but I'll see how long this lasts.

That may be the case when you make your appointment, i know that a double molar has been giving me a great deal of pain now for weeks, the Dentist and my Doctor have been avoiding saying o.k as i am on a blood thinning tablet as i have had a few small T.I.A.s ( Mini Strokes ) and neither wants the responsibility of saying or going ahead.
I have now been given a new appointement for mid Sept. and suddenly it does not hurt although the gum is infected and the tooth is rottnen.
Sadly these things do not go away by them selves in the end.

jma

Post by jma »

If the cod liver oil helps, try asking them to fit an oiling port to each knee and squirt a bit in directly. ;-)

Sorry if it seems I'm pulling your leg, especially with a bad knee, but if you don't laugh, you'll cry. Best of luck with this. As an old man myself, but a youngster compared with some on here, I know all about aches and pains. It won't help much to say that I know a lot of people who have had completely successful joint replacements. It's easy to say that it's wonderful what they can do these days when it's not you going under the knife, but it is true. Once again: Good luck! but you won't need it. Best wishes for a speedy recovery as well.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jma"]If the cod liver oil helps, try asking them to fit an oiling port to each knee and squirt a bit in directly. ;-)

Sorry if it seems I'm pulling your leg, especially with a bad knee, but if you don't laugh, you'll cry. Best of luck with this. As an old man myself, but a youngster compared with some on here, I know all about aches and pains. It won't help much to say that I know a lot of people who have had completely successful joint replacements. It's easy to say that it's wonderful what they can do these days when it's not you going under the knife, but it is true. Once again: Good luck! but you won't need it. Best wishes for a speedy recovery as well.

And if things do go wrong get yousellf up to Thorntons Arcade an the Fancy Dress shop, an eye patch, plastic parrot and a cutlass will have you ready for the panto season at the Empire Theatre.
"Always look on the bright side of life "

jgl1954

Post by jgl1954 »

Well here we are, several months on,and I'm back on the ward after my op. I must say, it was an absolute doddle. I think they tranqilised me first off but then I was completely awake and watched the proceedings on a screen. Hard part to follow now,getting up and going the physio!