Leeds Dock for sale for offers over £32m.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Leeds Dock for sale for offers over £32m.

Post by Leodian »

It is reported on page 4 of the Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP) today (June 13 2017) that Allied London is selling its interest in Leeds Dock for offers over £32m. The site was known as Clarence Dock when the YEP reports that it is understood that Allied London paid about £1.5m for the 150-year lease to the site in 2012.

This a link to the YEP online version of the report:- http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-8591373
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Re: Leeds Dock for sale for offers over £32m.

Post by tilly »

Not a bad profit for just over four years i wonder if they would take a bankers draft i might take a punt at that.Ha Ha.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]Not a bad profit for just over four years i wonder if they would take a bankers draft i might take a punt at that.Ha Ha.

I have a Mattress Cover stuffed with old White Fivers tilly so if it is O.K. with you and them i will go halves.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The name Leeds Dock amuses me. As a child playing around there in the early 1950's I just about recall the area having very large docks/wharves (well they seemed extensive to me!) though I don't now recall seeing barges using them. I seem to recall there were also oil storage silos there or very close by. The name Dock does though sound like a courtroom!

As to the £32m I've just checked down the chairs but sadly there was nothing there so I'll give it a miss on making an offer (well I might go as far as offering £1.50 or even as much as £2 if there is competition but that's my limit ;) ).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hi Leodian,
Your mention of large Barges reminds me that in the very early 1950s i worked in a Factory on Sovereign / Concordia Street and we had a clear view all day long of the River. Barges were arriving and unloading their cargo's throughout the day, it seemed to be Grain at the Wharehouse opposite but there was all types of good being delivered and taken away. this was occuring at the Wharehouses on both side of Leeds Bridge.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

In the early 1950s my granddad used to take me and my younger brother into town and to the locks to watch the barges go through. We also walked along the canal side and saw barges being unloaded. I still remember a warehouse called 'Leeds, Goole and Hull', no doubt long pulled down.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:?:
Leeds Goole Hull warehouse on the left as seen from Crown Point Bridge, and below the scene today

:arrow:
Attachments
LGH warehouse.jpg
LGH warehouse.jpg (19.63 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
CPB 2017.jpg
CPB 2017.jpg (53.65 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Thanks for posting the photos Buffaloskinner. As I suspected the Leeds, Goole and Hull warehouse has long been pulled down. There is nothing left on either bank to indicate it is the same place. I'll bet the water is a lot cleaner now. The other thing that will be missing now is the smell from the Tetley Brewery!