LEEDS

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tilly

LEEDS

Post by tilly »

I just posted a comment on Memories of Leeds when we lived in Hunslet we always said when going into town were going to Leeds does anyone else still use this term ? I wonder if it was because we never went very far at that time the correct term would be going into town just a thought. :D
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

blackprince

Re: LEEDS

Post by blackprince »

tilly wrote:I just posted a comment on Memories of Leeds when we lived in Hunslet we always said when going into town were going to Leeds does anyone else still use this term ? I wonder if it was because we never went very far at that time the correct term would be going into town just a thought. :D
Yes Tilly exactly the same for me when I lived in Harehills and Bramley I would always say "I'm going into Leeds" not "into town". In Bramley it made a bit of sense because Leeds and Bradford were both a similar bus journey away.

I don't know if the phrase is still used.

When I visit relatives in Canada they say "downtown" meaning central Toronto. That's one Americanism that never caught on over here :)
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi tiily :).

If I'm going to the central area of Leeds I've always said I am going into Leeds even though I've always lived in Leeds :).

I also say such as I'm going "down to" if I'm going south and "up to" if going north. For say Scarborough or Blackpool I however say "I'm going to" rather than "I'm going across to".
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Living in Beeston we also referred a visit to Leeds as Going Into but if visiting Holbeck or Hunslet we said ""Going Down To"
When i purchased my first house in Burlinton Place adjacent to Cross Flatts Park, Beeston i was quite shocked to see on the Deeds it was classed as Hunslet.

jim

Post by jim »

Always "Going into Leeds". It's Barnley where they are "Off in't tarn".

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

jim wrote:Always "Going into Leeds". It's Barnley where they are "Off in't tarn".

In Morley a local lad i knew once asked me " Esta banning up' t Seccy (Sycmore Pub) for 't Tug Wah ( Bank Holiday Tug of War )
Last edited by volvojack on Wed 07 Jun, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I must say i still use the term going to Leeds though jts not that often i go.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I always say I am going into Leeds from Wakefield
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!