Possibly confusing information sign on Eastgate.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Possibly confusing information sign on Eastgate.

Post by Leodian »

I think this information sign is confusing. I noticed it on May 31 2017 on Eastgate, near the roundabout. As far as I am aware the sign means that is a route for pedestrians and cyclists but as there seemed to be no markings to separate their areas it clearly implies it is OK for both to use that area at the same time which seems wrong to me.
SignNearEastgateRoundaboutMay312017.jpg
SignNearEastgateRoundaboutMay312017.jpg (118.27 KiB) Viewed 2800 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Re: Possibly confusing information sign on Eastgate.

Post by jim »

Not much point bothering about it. These days many cyclists ignore the Highway Code almost entirely - especially the injunction not to ride on footways (roadside footpaths) unless there is specific sign advice that this is permitted as far as the appropriate sign to resume riding on the road itself at the end of the permitted section.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

They also often happily ride at speed in pedestrian areas where there is a specific notice banning the riding of cycles. This includes those with the bloody great "Deliveroo" boxes, usually at top speed

jma

Post by jma »

That is the correct sign for that layout. In those cases where there's a line separating the cycle track from an adjacent footway, the sign from the same series has a vertical white line down the middle with the pedestrian and cycle logos in their relevant halves.
Dia 957
Dia 957
thWBJGU4HG.jpg (5.78 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
In the scheme of things, the shared use sign is diagram 956 and side-by-side is diagram 957

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jma wrote:That is the correct sign for that layout. In those cases where there's a line separating the cycle track from an adjacent footway, the sign from the same series has a vertical white line down the middle with the pedestrian and cycle logos in their relevant halves.
thWBJGU4HG.jpg
In the scheme of things, the shared use sign is diagram 956 and side-by-side is diagram 957
Thanks jma for the clarification of the Eastgate sign :).

That pedestrians and cyclists can thus both legally use the same area will I guess be of great help to defence lawyers when a cyclist injures a pedestrian or a pedestrian injures a cyclist there.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

The original sign obviously means "beware of low flying bicycles". No responsible council would encourage vehicles to use pedestrian footpaths in these days of Elf and Safety where you can't even play conkers without wearing safety specs and a hard hat, would they ?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

tilly

Post by tilly »

I wish i had a fiver every time i have been waiting at a red traffic light and a cyclist has crept forward and if the the road was clear set off and carried on.I am not saying all are like this but there are a lot who are i have also seen cyclists using the road at the side of the new Leeds to Bradford cycle path, they should be fined for not using it what a waste of money.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

tilly wrote:I wish i had a fiver every time i have been waiting at a red traffic light and a cyclist has crept forward and if the the road was clear set off and carried on.I am not saying all are like this but there are a lot who are i have also seen cyclists using the road at the side of the new Leeds to Bradford cycle path, they should be fined for not using it what a waste of money.
The first point I agree with totally especially the not all.

On the 2nd point. I haven't really observed the cycle super highway but I may have some sympathy for the road using cyclists if the cycle path is anything like the ones by the side of the recently opened East Wakefield 'relief Road. The cycle path is adjacent to
the road in both directions but is usually separated by a "verge". There is also a "verge" between a further inside footpath. The issue for cyclists? Well about every 100 yards there are the red terracotta nobbled pavement tiles so pedestrians can cross the cycle path to then cross the road. Approximately every 400 yards there are junctions to, as yet umnade, side roads at which point the footpath and cycle paths merge diagonally to cross the road again with the nobbled tiles to give way to traffic on the side roads. So if a cyclist remains on the road he/she has right of way over pedestrians and "joining" traffic but go onto the cyclepath and right of way is surrendered to pedestrians every 100 yards or so and to the joining traffic, when the junctions come into use, every 400 yards or so. I suspect most cyclists will take the risk of the traffic on the road ratherr than a potentially very disjointed journey on the path.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi tyke bhoy You are right it is not just a clear path people getting of the bus step onto it i for the life of me cant see why they spent all that money.It would have been better used to resurface some of the roads if cyclists are not going to use it for the reasons you state then its a complete waste of money, even the ones that use it are very few compared to the outlay to put it in place.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jma

Post by jma »

Leodian

When on your travels, you can inspect both versions of the sign displayed on the recently installed cycle track on Aire Street. As to whether this type of thing improves anything for cyclists, if you walk the fairly short distance to the end it comes to a junction - junctions being where most accidents occur - and returns riders into the traffic. I'd have taken some pictures to save anybody going to look but I was on the bus.