Old picture of holbeck

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Bruno

Re: Old picture of holbeck

Post by Bruno »

Re: chain bar. Unless my memory is faulty, a bar (as in barrier, to bar access, rather than a literal iron bar) was a physical barrier placed across a turnpike road where a fee or toll was payable for using the road, creating a toll bar. The most common form of bar would be a gate, but sometimes a chain would be slung across the road to prevent unauthorised traffic accessing the pay-road. Hence chain-bar.
The older I get, the better I was.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Was the artist sat near the Holbeck Cemetery on Beeston Hill ?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

warringtonrhino wrote:Was the artist sat near the Holbeck Cemetery on Beeston Hill ?

I'm wondering whether it might be a little stylised from a number of different viewpoints. I would assume Domestic Street, Top Moor Side and Shafton Lane have not moved much if at all in the intervening years, but Moor Road may have The artists vantage point would therefore be looking pretty much straight down Domestic Street and I think that puts it not far off a straight line between the junction of Top Moor Side and Domestic Street and the junction of Malvern Road and Beeston Road or even beyond. The problem is that that makes it very much down the hill and certainly not the high vantage point portrayed even if there was little/no housing to obscure the view.

Anything as far round as Holbeck cemetery would either be looking straight down Top Moor Side or even have it going away right to left, not the left to right shown in the picture.

The current Google map for reference https://goo.gl/maps/M7MNBVdi3QF2
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

I thought that Holbeck cemetery would be the only site high enough for the artist to see all of the buildings in his painting.
The perspective and alignments of highways etc. could easily be contrived, to achieve the view he wanted to show.
Several years ago I did this contrived perspective to illustrate the location of an office on Water Lane. Which is obviously seen from a non-existent viewpoint, but still looks convincingly accurate. ;)
Attachments
Water Lane office.jpg
Water Lane office.jpg (869.55 KiB) Viewed 1945 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Sorry WR that's what I was trying to get at by "stylised". Very good perspective in your diagram too. Both in reality would have to have been taken from the air for those perspectives
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/