Scammers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
harrym1byt
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON Sun 22 Mar, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Scammers

Postby harrym1byt » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:39 am

Talktalk let their customer database become hacked into and many customers had various amounts of their details taken. I was a TT customer and ever since we have been flooded with scam callers, up to 10 a day. I left TT almost a year ago, but the calls obviously continued. Such was the distress and frustration they caused, that I had to buy a new set of phones, with a built in caller filter. A set of BT 8500's. I have these set to block all calls which are not in its white list, or give the caller a chance to get through by stating their name and pressing #, the phone then ring and I can decide whether or not to accept the call. Not one single scam or spam caller has got through since installing the phones - peace at last. The phone just records the number which rang, but the phones make no noise at all.

TT had a free caller filter, where you could set it to reject certain numbers, but it was useless. You had to program the individual numbers you wanted blocked, in. Problem was, these people spoof their numbers, so they would change them daily. Some callers would even spoof an STD code the same as your own, so as to appear to be a local to you number.
tilly
PostsCOLON 1612
JoinedCOLON Mon 11 Jan, 2010 2:32 pm

Postby tilly » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 2:01 pm

I have a BT phone that does the same it might be the same has yours but without digging the box out i dont know. It says powered by true phone on the answer phone receiver I have had no problems since i got it money well spent. :)
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.
harrym1byt
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON Sun 22 Mar, 2015 10:07 pm

Postby harrym1byt » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 2:32 pm

tilly wroteColonI have a BT phone that does the same it might be the same has yours but without digging the box out i dont know. It says powered by true phone on the answer phone receiver I have had no problems since i got it money well spent. :)

I think you meant 'Truecall'. I had previously looked at the separate call filter units, but didn't want yet another unit plugged in. Yes, money well spent. I bought my set of four on ebay, from a customer returns dealer - I paid around £60 for the set. My only complaint is they don't make it easy to redial the last number dialled.
tilly
PostsCOLON 1612
JoinedCOLON Mon 11 Jan, 2010 2:32 pm

Postby tilly » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi harrym1byt your right Truecall it is your also right about last number recall.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Return to