A photo stated to be of New Market Street junction in 1994.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

A photo stated to be of New Market Street junction in 1994.

Post by Leodian »

There is a 'Retro looking back at 1994' supplement on the Yorkshire Evening Post today (April 22 2017). On page 11 of the Retro feature there is an photo titled 'New Market st junction, Leeds'. There have been changes in the area since 1994 but all the same I am having great difficulty in correlating the photo with the New Market Street area as it now. I wonder if anyone can please tell me where the photo was taken from and so looking to?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Re: A photo stated to be of New Market Street junction in 1994.

Post by jim »

Can you post the picture, or a link to it? I suspect that many, like me, no longer get the YEP.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

A closer look shows the C&A sign
So its looking towards Boar Lane.
Looked at it briefly earlier and couldn't work it out then
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

It's taken from the corner of New Market street looking back down Boar Lane with C&A in the background,the picture is heavily telescoped-zoomed or whatever term is correct.

This google map shot should give you your bearings if it remains as I've zoomed it.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.79601 ... 312!8i6656

EDIT cross post with Dogduke.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Leodian,

As far as I am aware, New Market Street starts as the junction of Duncan Street/Call Lane and extends alongside the 'Corn Exchange' towards Vicar Lane, as far as the junction with Kirkgate (where Vicar Lane starts).

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="iansmithofotley"]Hi Leodian,

As far as I am aware, New Market Street starts as the junction of Duncan Street/Call Lane and extends alongside the 'Corn Exchange' towards Vicar Lane, as far as the junction with Kirkgate (where Vicar Lane starts).

Ian[

I agree Ian. This address never had anything near C. and A. or Boar Lane.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your help :).

I think it is the severe foreshortening (heavily zoomed-in) of the view that has me very confused. I'm by no means sure but I think the view is looking along Duncan Street with Boar Lane beyond. The apparent lack of Trinity Church is though getting me more confused! The building on the right seems to have Oxfam on it and as dogduke notes the C&A is seen beyond.

Sorry Jim but If the photo is in the Yorkshire Evening Post website I was unable to readily find it.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Thats funny I thought I mentioned C&A too as well as giving a link to google map which would clear up any confusion if studied correctly.

Never mind.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

TABBYCAT wrote:Thats funny I thought I mentioned C&A too as well as giving a link to google map which would clear up any confusion if studied correctly.

Never mind.
Hi TABBYCAT :).

Apologies that I seem to have inadvertently upset you. I clearly did not word my post well as it was yours and dogduke's mention of C&A and the Google map view that helped me greatly in getting my bearings as to where the photo showed. The mentions of C&A made me look at the photo with a magnifying lens and that was when I also noticed what seems to state Oxfam.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Please forgive me and my crabbines Leodian (bad day at the office) :oops: Which I should have left at the office. :D