A photo stated to be of New Market Street junction in 1994.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
hyperion3

Re: A photo stated to be of New Market Street junction in 1994.

Post by hyperion3 »

Is this what you was talking about[attachment=0]P1030743.jpg[/attachmenhttp://www.secretleeds.com/download/file.php?m ... &id=10012t]
Attachments
P1030743.jpg
P1030743.jpg (376.64 KiB) Viewed 1936 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi hyperion3 :).

Thanks for that excellent reproduction which has even better definition than in the print version.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Leodian,

I think that it is case of 'New Market St Junction, Leeds', as a title, being a very poor description of the photograph shown, as there is no part of New Market Street visible in the photograph.

'Duncan Street, Leeds - looking towards Boar Lane, from the Corn Exchange' would have been a better description. (Duncan Street changes to Boar Lane at the junction with Briggate).

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="iansmithofotley"]Hi Leodian,

I think that it is case of 'New Market St Junction, Leeds', as a title, being a very poor description of the photograph shown, as there is no part of New Market Street visible in the photograph.

'Duncan Street, Leeds - looking towards Boar Lane, from the Corn Exchange' would have been a better description. (Duncan Street changes to Boar Lane at the junction with Briggate).

Ian.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

It is no wonder that fewer folks bother with the Yorks. Evening Post as it seems no one ever checks the info or photos they print.
This Street, apart from being one of the shortest Streets in the Cty Centre, is propably one of the most ever used by the public as it has been a part Tram / Bus Terminus for over 70 years to my knowledge. Plus it housed the Information Bureau Office for all Leeds Public Transport routes and timetables.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

iansmithofotley wrote:Hi Leodian,

Ian
Maybe two or three spindles(?) on the railings to the rirght can be said to be on New Market Strret and the Volvo is definitely turning into it ;-) Joking apart at best its looking down Duncan Street (and beyond) from across New Market Street.

Leo Trinity church is set well back from Boar Lane and would be hidden by the building what is now McDonalds and Burger King? on the corner of Briggate but in past times was Hush Puppy
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

That Shoe Shop on the corner of Briggate / Boar lane i am pretty certain was Saxone, a quite high quality shoe Retailers, i could never afford to buy my footwear there, Those were the days when there were lots of different Shoe retailers in town and mainly theey were "Made In England" plenty of choice.

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

http://www.secretleeds.com/download/file.php?mode=view&id=10013
http://www.secretleeds.com/download/file.php?mode=view&id=10013
Keith Gibson of Keighley.JPG (45.14 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
posted as a point of reference photo.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your continuing help in getting me to 'understand' the photo :).

The Briggate/Boar/Lane/Duncan Street junction seems not to be there! Trinity Church is behind the trees and as it is set back from Boar Lane I should have realised that was why it is missing :oops:.

Now knowing what the view shows I feel brave enough ( ;)) to say that the extremely tall building in the rear is Queens Hotel (at least the greyish part) with the foreshortening view making it so strangely tall looking.

As an aside, you mention Jack that New Market Street is a short street. This old thread of mine about short streets may be of interest http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5879

PS. Thanks hyperion3 for that 1975 view of Boar Lane and Duncan Street that came in while I was (slowly!) composing this post.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.