No adverts inside buses.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

No adverts inside buses.

Post by Leodian »

I first noticed a few weeks back that there are now no adverts inside buses (at least on the First company Leeds services that I use). The adverts might though have been dropped some while back and I have just not noticed their absence until recently, so I wonder how long they have not been there? I wonder why they were removed as surely they would have provided some income for First (and any other companies that may no longer display such adverts)?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jma

Re: No adverts inside buses.

Post by jma »

It may be a sign of how little attention I pay to ads., that I haven't noticed, although my usual buses are Aviva.

I do remember the advertising cards which used to be held in slots over the windows in LCT buses, although the only ones I clearly remember were from a hypnotherapist - MA Hamid (?) - offering a smoking cure. Originally, the cards said something like "practising in Leeds for 3 years" which was then altered to 4 and so on. Eventually they hit on announcing "practising in Leeds since 1947" which is permanent. I see there's still a Leeds hypnotherapist called MA Hamid. He's either extremely old or it's somebody else with the same name. (Or my memory is wrong about the original name.)

I've never smoked so I've not needed help stopping.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jma"]It may be a sign of how little attention I pay to ads., that I haven't noticed, although my usual buses are Aviva.

I do remember the advertising cards which used to be held in slots over the windows in LCT buses, although the only ones I clearly remember were from a hypnotherapist - MA Hamid (?) - offering a smoking cure. Originally, the cards said something like "practising in Leeds for 3 years" which was then altered to 4 and so on. Eventually they hit on announcing "practising in Leeds since 1947" which is permanent. I see there's still a Leeds hypnotherapist called MA Hamid. He's either extremely old or it's somebody else with the same name. (Or my memory is wrong about the original name.)

I've never smoked so I've not needed help stopping

Billiant recollection jma, i would never have remembered the Hypnotist Ad. where the adverts only downstairs ?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

JMA pedantic correction in that its not an Insurance Company that operates buses. You mean Arriva and dependent on the route the majority are covered in branding for Max (Leeds >Huddersfield (via Dewsbury), Sapphire (Leeds >Wakefield and beyond), Frequenta (Knottingley>Wakefield) and the environmentally friendly route (Leeds >Castleford) among others. I suspect its no longer a cost effective method of advertising and it appears at least JMA and Leodian don't notice them.

Jack I suspect like modern buses there isn't/wasn't room between the roof and windows on upper decks. They still appear in slots on either diagonal or curved supports between the windows and roof of the lower or only deck. I do see adverts on Arriva buses occasionally but as most of my journeys are on buses branded for Sapphire and Frequenta routes not often.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I do not live in Leeds , so cannot comment, but locally to me the only advertising is the full repainting of the bus , which is sometimes seen (making it difficult at times to see through the windows, when a pixilated covering covers them). There is a tv screen which shows stops , alternating with "public service announcements", and could be used for adverts, but it seems that it is not worth putting adverts between them, or more likelly no demand.

jma

Post by jma »

:oops: I did think about Arriva, then went onto autopilot when I was posting. :oops:

I don't know why the "practising in Leeds since 1947" thing should have stuck with me - perhaps it was the repeated correction of the earlier versions with each passing year. IIRC, the same chap advertised in the classified ads in the YEP.

I did once gently tease a typist along those lines when, in the twilight of my career, I was posted to Pudsey Police Station (Twenty six years service.) When you are posted somewhere where not everybody knows you personally, there can be an assumption among some who see themselves as old-timers that you are new to the job, in spite of all the grey hair, wrinkles, long service medal etc. Some report I needed typing was questioned by somebody who said "I've been working here X years and that's not how we do it." I said something along the lines of "Why not just say, 'I started here in 19XX'? That would save changing it every year. I joined in 1967." Probably no idea what I was on about but I got my typing done as I wanted it.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Blakey, if he were still posting here, would have a lot to say about external adverts Mike. At least the Sapphire, of the Arriva services, has the screens. They show the stops and in between flash up Arriva advertising e.g. their "Nightrider" service.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Sounds just like reading, though they do also do ones for local charities (it is council owned though, as independent co)

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

volvojack wrote:
jma wrote:It may be a sign of how little attention I pay to ads., that I haven't noticed, although my usual buses are Aviva.

I've never smoked so I've not needed help stopping

Billiant recollection jma, i would never have remembered the Hypnotist Ad. where the adverts only downstairs ?
You certainly jogged my memory, jma, with your mention of the MA Hamid ad. It must be about 60 years since I last saw it. I seem to remember he offered to cure a list of ailments apart from smoking and I had to ask my mum what some of them were. Remarkable how a simple printed ad could be so memorable. Just shows it pays to advertise!
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

rikj

Post by rikj »

Advertisers will have long since realised that the majority of people on buses are looking at their phones, not their surroundings. So that is where they will be putting their adverts.