The Secret History of Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
munki

Post by munki »

Right, Secret Leedsers! Apologies for being away awhile, working on Light Night. But now Munki needs your help.We are doing an article in the Yorkshire Evening Post on November 7th which will be about the FALSE history of Leeds. All those stories that people tell, which people like to remember, which are not actually true. I want to write 200 words which will drive people to this site in absolute droves... outrageous lies are entirely accpetable. Lets have a bit of a laugh! It's the last blast for Celebrate Leeds 2007, & if we can make up some lies about Leeds that will last for decades, then all the better.Did you hear the story about Mary Blythe, who threw herself from the top of the Town Hall Clock Tower? Come on, the more outrageous the better. We can turn Secret Leeds into the evil / mischievous twin of the Civic Trust. Tell me your lies!Let's have some fun, & get it published in the Evening Post!
Attachments
__TFMF_zgysnf45veh33wvneeij4d45_d8d03ce1-1ca8-4d26-871c-e4976289036c_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_zgysnf45veh33wvneeij4d45_d8d03ce1-1ca8-4d26-871c-e4976289036c_0_main.jpg (60.96 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Poulson and t'olympic pools tiles?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

stevief

Post by stevief »

Any truth in the tale about the gypsies curse on Elland Rd.I was always told the 'Don' gave it a lot of credence.

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

stevief wrote: Any truth in the tale about the gypsies curse on Elland Rd.I was always told the 'Don' gave it a lot of credence. i heard it was lifted in the D1 championship winning year hence why we won it!!!    but here's a whopper for ya...Elland Road stadium was built on a celtic burial site!!!
Love a Landrover

LS1

Post by LS1 »

What about the fact that Kirkstall Abbey was bombed during the war hence its present state. They were trying to get Kirkstall Forge but were off target a bit.

munki

Post by munki »

OK - all good, but we need to flesh these out a bit! Give me the details (if there are any).
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

simonm

Post by simonm »

what about.........During the 9th Century the Viking had made claim to most of the northern half of England, but still lacked the over all control that they yearned! On a cold winters day the great Canute, long before his ill fated forray into tidal control, decided to map the great waterways, to see if they could pave the way to greater dominance of the UK.After a day or so of hard rowing they came upon a small house and out buildings along the river (what is now known as the Aire). They camped by the house, paying no head to the occupants, who were of lowley importance to them! The vikings stayed, well some did, but Canute carried on, eventually coming to the conclusion the river went nowhere significant. As he returned to the place they had initially camped his ship struck an outcrop of stone and holed the lurking vessel. After several hours of bailing and work the ship yeilded to the gentle lapping of the Aire. Allthough he made dry land, by the camp they first stopped at the ship finally succumbed to the icy waters of the river. Thus the arms, riches and even a few men went down with the ship. The ship has never been found, but lies somewhere in the vicinity of the Parish church, given that that is where the initial city of Leeds sprung from, and the first camp the vikings stopped at. The survivors trudged wearlity back to Yorvik and never set foot near famr called Leodis again, leaving their sunken goods to the mercy of the river. To this day, bits and pieces have been found, but nothing of significance. However, those dark deep waters of the Aire hold onto their treasure, until one worthy of the right will find it and once agian rise the long lost treasure to the warmth of the sun... Work summat round that!! Better not. load of rubbish, but I bet some believe it!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

what about king pendas treasure...said to be still in crossgates somewhere...lost after the winwaed...(battle of whinmoor)
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

simonm wrote: what about.........During the 9th Century the Viking had made claim to most of the northern half of England, but still lacked the over all control that they yearned! On a cold winters day the great Canute, long before his ill fated forray into tidal control, decided to map the great waterways, to see if they could pave the way to greater dominance of the UK.After a day or so of hard rowing they came upon a small house and out buildings along the river (what is now known as the Aire). They camped by the house, paying no head to the occupants, who were of lowley importance to them! The vikings stayed, well some did, but Canute carried on, eventually coming to the conclusion the river went nowhere significant. As he returned to the place they had initially camped his ship struck an outcrop of stone and holed the lurking vessel. After several hours of bailing and work the ship yeilded to the gentle lapping of the Aire. Allthough he made dry land, by the camp they first stopped at the ship finally succumbed to the icy waters of the river. Thus the arms, riches and even a few men went down with the ship. The ship has never been found, but lies somewhere in the vicinity of the Parish church, given that that is where the initial city of Leeds sprung from, and the first camp the vikings stopped at. The survivors trudged wearlity back to Yorvik and never set foot near famr called Leodis again, leaving their sunken goods to the mercy of the river. To this day, bits and pieces have been found, but nothing of significance. However, those dark deep waters of the Aire hold onto their treasure, until one worthy of the right will find it and once agian rise the long lost treasure to the warmth of the sun... Work summat round that!! Better not. load of rubbish, but I bet some believe it!! Bugger me you had me convinced until the last line.ever thought about writing childrens fantasy novels?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

simonm

Post by simonm »

Well, he did say the more outrageous the better!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"