Is this a street drain into the River Aire? (not a quiz).

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
buffaloskinner

Re: Is this a street drain into the River Aire? (not a quiz).

Post by buffaloskinner »

There are only the canal basin (now a dock) and the larger of the two dry docks still usable, the small dry dock has gone.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I'll bow to the better knowledge of anyone who has been down recently but the two dry docks do seem to be in situ from google maps sattelite imagery

https://goo.gl/maps/XXDbqN3FT6p

It would appear the smaller one no longer has a gate and therefore can't be drained which maybe why Buffalo Skinner is saying it is gone. To me the canal basin seems to be smaller than on BS's map even allowing for the landing deck and berth walkways that have been put in but I guess its probably an optical illusion.

Also this 2016 Street View imagery taken from the Hilton by Doubletree's turning circle https://goo.gl/maps/U3Pep17vnU72 seems to show a "River Cruiser" in the smaller dry dock
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Seems I was wrong, I am sure the last time I was down there (about 4-5 years ago) the smaller one had been filled over, maybe then it was just for repairs.

Below is a pic of the small dry dock with the emptying chute and gears at the far left towards the canal.

and below that a pic from 1998 showing a boat in that small dry dock.

:!:
Attachments
Canal Basin 1991.JPG
Canal Basin 1991.JPG (376.7 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
Canal Basin 98.JPG
Canal Basin 98.JPG (169.04 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

jma

Post by jma »

In a ost above I mentioned the drain that can be seen from the footbridge off Canal Road in Armley.

Here's a Leodis picture.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 823_164537

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a photo that I took on March 23 2017. The river is clearly higher than when I photographed the drain on March 16 2017 (see the first post in this thread). Seeing the high river water level it got me wondering what happens to the drain outflow whenever the river completely covers the drain? I wonder if the river flow will then be so strong it fills up the drain so that no outflow gets outs and thus the ground on the surface does not drain away, or does the drain water still run into the river as the strong current will draw it away even faster (which I suspect is probably the case)?
DrainToRiverAireNearVictoriaBridgeMarch232017..jpg
DrainToRiverAireNearVictoriaBridgeMarch232017..jpg (138.87 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jma

Post by jma »

In the worst case scenario, river water comes up out of the street gulley grates and floods the street.

We used to live in Castleford in the 1950's and it happened quite often.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jma wrote:In the worst case scenario, river water comes up out of the street gulley grates and floods the street.

We used to live in Castleford in the 1950's and it happened quite often.
Thanks for interesting information jma :).

I don't recall reading off it happening so I wonder if any fish were found on the streets of Leeds and elsewhere locally after the Boxing Day 2015 floods?

rikj

Post by rikj »

In the 2007 floods the Hol Beck outfall was completely submerged emptying into the Aire. Hol Beck was brim full and still emptying into the river at full pelt. You could see the difference in the water from the beck and the river.

I remember being sat at lights on Marsh Lane during a cloud burst. The water was rushing down the drains and then suddenly reversed and started coming back out. Every drain has a point at which it is overwhelmed. No fish though :)

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

rikj wrote:In the 2007 floods the Hol Beck outfall was completely submerged emptying into the Aire. Hol Beck was brim full and still emptying into the river at full pelt. You could see the difference in the water from the beck and the river.

I remember being sat at lights on Marsh Lane during a cloud burst. The water was rushing down the drains and then suddenly reversed and started coming back out. Every drain has a point at which it is overwhelmed. No fish though :)
That's also very interesting rikj :).

Talking of fish in the Hol Beck it reminded me that on July 1 2015 I saw lots of fish from small to large size in the open Hol Beck just before it is culverted before entering the River Aire. I've seen some fish there since (not in such numbers) but I've not looked there for many months now.