"First Film"

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

"First Film"

Post by volvojack »

I recorded a wondeful documentary on T.V. last week and have just sat down to watch it. "First Film" which for anyone who does not know is a snippet of Leeds Bridge and two shots at Roundhay on a moving film / camera by a Frenchman in the late 1890s. One of the nice things about the programme is the way it explores Leeds showing the major buildings , Corn Exchenge, Kirkgate Market, Middleton Railway etc. whith an interesting commentary.
It is possible i am the only one who has not seen this but for anyone who has not Do look out for it to be on again.
Last edited by volvojack on Sat 11 Mar, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

hyperion3

Re: "First Film"

Post by hyperion3 »

Film of 1988 revisit to Leeds Brigde . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJy_AWHZj4M

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

During this Documentary there is a short interview with an ex. Detective Super Quentin Dowse in Leeds Town hall, It seems that this French Film maker boarded a Train in France and was never seen again.
Off the subject a bit but i wondered if either Ian or jma. knew or worked with this man.
Last edited by volvojack on Sun 12 Mar, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

It is also released on DVD as "The First Film" about the directors david Wilkinson's attempts to prove that Le Prince was actually mudered by agents of Thomas Edison so he could get the patent first .
HMV in Leeds have copies
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hello Steve,
I never knew that in Armley Mills Museum there is a board with Three different opinions on it, Murder by his Brother, Suicide and as you say Patent theft Murder.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

I didn't know Quentin Dowse. If you do some research you will find that he was in the Humberside Police and retired as a Chief Superintendent in 2004.

Funnily enough, when the reconstruction film was made in October 1988, I was an Inspector at Holbeck Police Station but I have no knowledge of the event (the River Aire/Leeds Bridge was the boundary between Millgarth Division and Holbeck Division). The event may have been policed by Millgarth officers. I may have been on nights or on leave when the event took place, but I don't remember it.

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Off the subject Ian but where are the boundaries in Leeds these days. A friend of mine from Garforth was telling me that he came out of The Woodman pub on Selby Road and was stopped by a couple of Officers and asked take the Breathalyser, after doing so he was taken to Elland Road Polive Station where after taking a second one he blew perfectly clear. One Officer apologised and explained that some of the equipment can be faulty. with that they drove him back to his car in Selby Road.
(My Pal was quite relieved as due to his medical condition he only has one pint of Shandy)

So does the New Station on Elland Road cover most of Leeds nowadays ?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

A quick google search will tell you all about Policing in Leeds and its stations

https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/leeds
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

I can't add any more to buffaloskinner's link. It's nearly 22years since I retired and I am completely out of touch with 'modern day' policing.

So far as relates to testing for drink/driving, I don't know what they use these days but there will be a device for 'roadside' testing. Years ago, after the 'blow in the bag crystal tube devices', the device was an Alcolmeter and if a positive test was shown then the driver would be arrested and taken to a Police Station for further tests (breath, blood or urine). In those days there were only certain Police Stations that had Intoximeter equipment for breath testing, with the staff trained to carry out the tests. In the case of a driver wishing to have a blood test then a Police Surgeon had to be called out to take the blood.

Again, in those days the Police Stations in Leeds were Millgarth (old and new), Ireland Wood (later Weetwood), Chapeltown (later Stainbeck), Gipton (later Killingbeck), Dewsbury Road (later Holbeck) and Upper Wortley (later Pudsey). In addition, after amalgamation in 1974, the Leeds area also covered Wetherby, Garforth, Morley, Rothwell, Horsforth, Otley and Pudsey areas and some of these police Stations had breath testing equipment. In addition, the Central Charge Office at the Leeds Bridewell in the Town Hall also had the equipment.

A suspected drink/driver could be taken to any Police Station for the necessary tests to be carried out. Equipment had to be tested daily and in good working order and required trained staff to use it. The Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 also laid down procedures as to where arrested persons were to be taken.

I hope that this helps (albeit it is off the original topic).

Ian
Last edited by iansmithofotley on Mon 13 Mar, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

iansmithofotley wrote:Hi Jack,

I can't add any more to buffaloskinner's link. It's nearly 22years since I retired and I am completely out of touch with 'modern day' policing.

So far as relates to testing for drink/driving, I don't know what they use these days but there will be a device for 'roadside' testing. Years ago, after the 'blow in the bag crystal tube devices', the device was an Alcolmeter and if a positive test was shown then the driver would be arrested and taken to a Police Station for further tests (breath, blood or urine). In those days there were only certain Police Stations that had Intoximeter equipment for breath testing, with the staff trained to carry out the tests. In the case of a driver wishing to have a blood test then a Police Surgeon had to be called out to take the blood.

Again, in those days the Police Stations in Leeds were Millgarth (old and new), Ireland Wood (later Weetwood), Chapeltown (later Stainbeck), Gipton (later Killingbeck), Dewsbury Road (later Holbeck) and Upper Wortley (later Pudsey). In addition, after amalgamation in 1974, the Leeds area also covered Otley, Wetherby, Garforth, Morley, Rothwell, Horsforth, Otley and Pudsey areas and some of these police Stations had breath testing equipment. In addition, the Central Charge Office at the Leeds Bridewell in the Town Hall also had the equipment.

A suspected drink/driver could be taken to any Police Station for the necessary tests to be carried out. Equipment had to be tested daily and in good working order and required trained staff to use it. The Police and Criminal Evidence Act also laid down procedures as to where arrested persons were to be taken.

I hope that this helps (albeit it is off the original topic).

Tanks Ian.
Strangly enough my friend Ken told me that he was not arrested but asked if he would accompany them, ( not sure what they would have done had he said no )

Ian

Ian