Meadow Lane Gas Works.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
jma

Re: Meadow Lane Gas Works.

Post by jma »

I'm half expecting somebody to come up with a Leodis pic of me in the middle of the road in a long white mac or perhaps an old OS map with an X marking the spot. :lol:

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Well here are a couple more on Meadow Lane to chew over

South Market Hotel
Trafalgar Inn

:arrow:
Attachments
Red Lion - South Market Hotel - Trafalgar Inn.JPG
Red Lion - South Market Hotel - Trafalgar Inn.JPG (416.65 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Don't have a clue what happened to the war memorial at Christchurch, all I can tell you is it was demolished in 1972.

The war memorial is above the Palmer van to the left of the sign.

Attachments
Christchurch Meadow Lane.JPG
Christchurch Meadow Lane.JPG (282 KiB) Viewed 2722 times

jma

Post by jma »

Seeing Brown's shop - just beyond the church - brings back some memories. For whatever reason, their windows got a brick through what seemed like more often than all the other shops in the division put together. Special attention was arranged after home games at Elland Road, but after closing time it's a bit different: you couldn't mount a permanent guard, even in those days of plenty more working nights. I've done plain clothes observations there but never had any results. Actually, the most spectacular damage was when a colleague managed to park a panda car in that window down the side street. A complicated tale which is best left to history.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks buffaloskinnner for the information and photo relating to Christ Church. Possibly the war memorial may be in store somewhere. I will have passed the church very often on my way to and from school during the mid-1950's to early 1960's but (like many Leeds related things) I have no recollection of the church.

Your mention jma of the police panda parking incident amused me :).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jma

Post by jma »

Depending on the size of screen, it may not be obvious that this churchyard had several huge stone pillars along the wall, presumably to support a fine set of iron railings which will have been removed to help the war effort. There's one of those pillars on the corner of that side street, just to the left of the pale-coloured mini van, and the amazing thing was missing the pillar but hitting the window. Quite a manoeuvre.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

As Leodian remarked earlier how we came from the subject of the Somme V.C. Medal Holder to the Gas Works on Meadow Lane and it made me think that in the very early 50s. i used to walk down from the Willoughby's off Domestic St. on a Saturday morning with my pal and he used to get this large pram full of coke. as all the workers there looked and dressed the same it is just possible we were attended to by this Hero.

Tranny

Post by Tranny »

The Old Red House Pub WAS on the corner of Fleet Lane and Meadow Lane, I went there in the 60s as it had a Boxing Gym upstairs, Professionals Trained there at the time,I was 18Yrs old(1965) I have been unable to remember or find out where abouts it was until recently, there is no wonder i couldn't recognise the place where it stood as it has been COMPLETELY altered by new modern Roads and Office buildings, completely unrecognisable even for me whom went there on foot all the way from the Vicar Lane Bus Station, i was amazed at the transformation of the site where the Pub once stood !

Tranny

Post by Tranny »

There was definately the Old Red House pub on Meadow Lane, I went to it in 1965 when there was a Professional Boxing Gym upstairs in it, It has taken me a long time to realise exactly where it stood as the spot has been COMPLETELY altered by Big New Roads and Modern Office Blocks Today, NOTHING like the old Meadow Lane of the 60s, walking down Meadow Lane from Leeds Bridge, just across Great Wilson Street and the Old Red House was just on your Right !

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

You are quite correct Tranny, and if you go back a page or so on this thread you will see I posted a map with it on.