Meadow Lane Gas Works.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Re: Meadow Lane Gas Works.

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tyke bhoy"]Surely something between the Green Man and the New Inn even if you have to count West Leeds Conservative Club ;-) There is also the Sports and Social between the New Inn and Broadway but like the Conny club not a pub. Beyond Tommy Wass you were into Morley licensing in Churwell with the Woodman?

Edit PS we have come along way from the Gas Works

If you mention Social Clubs there was also New Canning Street club behind the Junction Pub. This was when the old Canning St. club was demolished and they took over that existing Club, it is still going as far as i know.

I have remembered the name of the other Pub near the Cricketers, this was the Sir Robert Peel (Bobby Peel to locals) and there was also a Pub i missed on the main road just below the Junction. The Kings Arms whch i think closed early 1960s

tilly

Post by tilly »

Was there a pub called The Fox above the Red Lion knowing me i will be wrong i know there was a model shop next to the pub i am talking about .It had steam models in glass cases i dont mean kit built but hand built by the old timers there would be beam engines and such am i the only one to remember this?Whats this got to do with the gas works you might ask its just me going off tilt.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Just missed a few Volvo that I could find. But well done with the others.

From Christchurch up to the Meadow Road / Dewsbury Road junction

Red House
Brown Cow
Crown and Anchor
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

buffaloskinner wrote:Just missed a few Volvo that I could find. But well done with the others.

From Christchurch up to the Meadow Road / Dewsbury Road junction

Red House
Brown Cow
Crown and Anchor
Don't recall any of these, are they pre 1950s ?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The Old Red House in 1964 courtesy of Leodis http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 6_46174258 It lookks like it had been round a while and there are several undated images. I'm having difficulty narrowing searches on Leodis because I can't quite work out the area. This one is labelled as Holbeck but I would have said anything East of Desbury Road was definitely Hunslet.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tyke bhoy"]Image
The Old Red House in 1964 courtesy of Leodis http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 6_46174258 It lookks like it had been round a while and there are several undated images. I'm having difficulty narrowing searches on Leodis because I can't quite work out the area. This one is labelled as Holbeck but I would have said anything East of Desbury Road was definitely Hunslet.

THere was Red House Pub on Church St. that got swallowed up by Morrisons S / Market if i remember correctly but as to this picture of a pub on Medow Lane i certainly don't recall it.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Formerly the Spread Eagle Meadow Lane.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
Attachments
2004610_49396914.jpg
2004610_49396914.jpg (18.83 KiB) Viewed 2747 times

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Here are the 5 pubs on that stretch

:arrow:
Attachments
Crown & Anchor -  Union Inn - Jacobs Well -Red House - Brown Cow.JPG
Crown & Anchor - Union Inn - Jacobs Well -Red House - Brown Cow.JPG (551.35 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
Red House - Brown Cow.JPG
Red House - Brown Cow.JPG (532 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
Crown & Anchor.JPG
Crown & Anchor.JPG (451.42 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This map is taken from the 1953 1:1,250 map in the very useful Old-Maps UK website. I thought it would help with the excellent maps that buffaloskinner has provided. Well OK, if it works and does appear in this post it took me absolutely ages to manage to save the map in the correct format and even then I don't know what I did to make it eventually work! :oops: at my poor computing skills.

The Old Red House was simply marked as a P.H. on a 1962-1964 map and on a 1964-1970 map but it is not there on a 1970-1977 map.

I notice a Christ Church on the map with a War Memorial. According to information I found in Leodis the church was demolished in 1972. I wonder if the War Memorial is still there (or thereabouts) or if not does anyone know what happened to it?
19531to1250Map.png
19531to1250Map.png (322.31 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
Edit just after posting. Wow, it worked! Sorry for the large space below the map.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Well the evidence is there in black and white so thanks to you both for such good maps.
I am still not convinced that these Pubs were still trading in the 50s and 60s. as i am sure using these roads every day i would have noticed at least one of them.

As for the Crown and Anchor Pub i would bet 2/- that there was no such Pub on Dewsbury Rod in recent times.

The only thing was that in the early 1950s when i was looking out of the bus window which was stopped at the Dews. Rd. / Meadow Lane junction. (probably by P.C. JMA on his box) there was the P.D.S.A. and i used to look at it's really fancy facade and think that it may have been a Pub at one time.( this might have been the C.and A.)

Yours Truly Doubting Thomas.

P.s. Have just phoned an old pal of mine in Beeston who is 85years old and he says the only one that he knows for certain was the Red Lion on Meadow lane. He recalls that the Licencees were a couple of "Odd ones" in those days. Mrs Connie and Mr. Michelle.
It seems that there was Boxing Bouts held on a Sunday afternoon upstairs and it was a good excuse to have a Pint or two out of hours.

P.p.s. He has just phoned me back and has a Telephone Dirctory 1923 and in there listed is the Crown and Anchor at No. 3 Dewsbury Rooad which is where the P.D.S.A.building was.
Last edited by volvojack on Sat 04 Mar, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.