Meadow Lane Gas Works.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tyke bhoy

Re: Meadow Lane Gas Works.

Post by tyke bhoy »

Clock 2?

Courtesy of Leodis http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

I'm having problems quite placing this as much of it presumably disappeared soon after when the start of the M1 was built. Obviously Jack Lane and Dewsbury Road still exist but they currently have separate north and southbound junctions separated by what I believe was most of the total length of Parkfield Street. If this is, as I think close to Apex House (formerly Sulzers ?) then its concievable that the position of the hands could be seen from 400 yards or so nearer town.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

tyke bhoy wrote:Clock 2?

Courtesy of Leodis http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

I'm having problems quite placing this as much of it presumably disappeared soon after when the start of the M1 was built. Obviously Jack Lane and Dewsbury Road still exist but they currently have separate north and southbound junctions separated by what I believe was most of the total length of Parkfield Street. If this is, as I think close to Apex House (formerly Sulzers ?) then its concievable that the position of the hands could be seen from 400 yards or so nearer town.
Yes you are correct, this is the Parkfield Pub Clock with Jack Lane opposite. Dont think anyone could see the time frm the bottom of Dewsbury Road. Interesting picture as there is a Pub shown higher up on the other side but i can't recall it's name.
Last edited by volvojack on Fri 03 Mar, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Could it be The SILVER CROSS public house.?Its a long time ago i was not old enough to drink at that time.Next to the Parkfield was a pawn shop my mam bought me my first watch from there and i still have it its junk but i would not sell it at any price. :)
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]Could it be The SILVER CROSS public house.?Its a long time ago i was not old enough to drink at that time.Next to the Parkfield was a pawn shop my mam bought me my first watch from there and i still have it its junk but i would not sell it at any price.

Hello Tilly,
The Silver Cross was on the opposite side of the road. Our lass and I used to go in there on a Sunday night when we were courting. This Pub had a sign outside boasting "Glass Piano" but it was just an ordinary upright covered wuth glass strips.
I remember that my Mother once said that when she first got married and lived a bit higher up Dewsbury Road there was a small factory making Silver Cross Prams.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi volvojack There were so many pubs starting with the Red Lion in Meadow Lane up to the Tommy Wass public house it used to be said you could not have a pint in each one and still be standing, i think two pubs would be enough for me.I wonder if any member knows how many there were from the Red Lion to the Tommy Wass public House.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

1891 map showing the Silver Cross Works and the Silver Cross Pub.
Today they are both under the M621.

:arrow:
Attachments
Silver Cross.JPG
Silver Cross.JPG (310.16 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
2017.JPG
2017.JPG (115.54 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The pub opposie, according to several appearncesin comments on pictures on Leodis is the Cricketrers Arms
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]Hi volvojack There were so many pubs starting with the Red Lion in Meadow Lane up to the Tommy Wass public house it used to be said you could not have a pint in each one and still be standing, i think two pubs would be enough for me.I wonder if any member knows how many there were from the Red Lion to the Tommy Wass public House.

Don't know if this would be all of them but i do remember.

The Old Red Lion.
Jacobs Well.
Union Tavern.
White House or similar, on the junction of Dewsbury Road/ Meadow Road.
The Parkfield.
The Cricketers.
Pub who's name i can't recall The Sir Robert Peel ( Bobby Peel )
Silver Cross.
The Moorhouse (Back of Junction)
The Kings Arms
The Junction
Green Man.
New Inn.
The Broadway.
Tommy Wass.
Last edited by volvojack on Fri 03 Mar, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Surely something between the Green Man and the New Inn even if you have to count West Leeds Conservative Club ;-) There is also the Sports and Social between the New Inn and Broadway but like the Conny club not a pub. Beyond Tommy Wass you were into Morley licensing in Churwell with the Woodman?

Edit PS we have come along way from the Gas Works ;)

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tyke bhoy wrote:Surely something between the Green Man and the New Inn even if you have to count West Leeds Conservative Club ;-) There is also the Sports and Social between the New Inn and Broadway but like the Conny club not a pub. Beyond Tommy Wass you were into Morley licensing in Churwell with the Woodman?

Edit PS we have come along way from the Gas Works ;)
:) . But with so many (hypothetical) drinks on the way we would never notice ;).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.