Kirkgate Market name.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Kirkgate Market name.

Post by Leodian »

Leeds City Markets (note the plural) has long been the name over the 3 entry/exit sites on Vicar Lane (OK, 2 are partly facing) but the name Leeds Kirkgate Market (note the singular) seems to have now become the name used (looking at maps going back to at least 1891 the name given on them is Kirkgate Market). As only a very little bit of the building has ever fronted Kirkgate I wonder though why Kirkgate was originally chosen as its name?

With the current run-down nature of part of Kirkgate it may be that now calling it Leeds Kirkgate Market could be a wrong choice, though I suppose if the plans to improve the area come to fruition the name Leeds Kirkgate Market may be considered upmarket ( ;) ).

Talking of the market, it is very depressing inside. Being in last week it was for example sad to see only 1 butcher shop open on what was Butcher's Row (there were a few butchers elsewhere) and most of the premises on that Row were vacant.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Re: Kirkgate Market name.

Post by volvojack »

[quote="Leodian"]Leeds City Markets (note the plural) has long been the name over the 3 entry/exit sites on Vicar Lane (OK, 2 are partly facing) but the name Leeds Kirkgate Market (note the singular) seems to have now become the name used (looking at maps going back to at least 1891 the name given on them is Kirkgate Market). As only a very little bit of the building has ever fronted Kirkgate I wonder though why Kirkgate was originally chosen as its name?

With the current run-down nature of part of Kirkgate it may be that now calling it Leeds Kirkgate Market could be a wrong choice, though I suppose if the plans to improve the area come to fruition the name Leeds Kirkgate Market may be considered upmarket ( ;) ).

Talking of the market, it is very depressing inside. Being in last week it was for example sad to see only 1 butcher shop open on what was Butcher's Row (there were a few butchers elsewhere) and most of the premises on that Row were vacant.

When i was last in Leeds I took my Wife in as she being from the West Country has never seen such a large covered Market though we have nice smaller ones in Bristol and Bath. We only went about halfway down as sadly below there has become a bit tatty but as you say Leodian how things have changed. I was telling her how it used to be with a Butchers Row, game Row, a Bird and Animal section plus a thriving Fresh fish section.
The only part that looks bustling anymore is the top section and even that is not a patch on what it used to be, the "Top Row" fruit shops used to change hands for a small fortune and i recall Ada Proctors Flower Stall (still there with its original sign, up near the Kirkgate / Vicar Lane entrance) being sold around 1970 for £27,000 to a lad called Steve Gaunt. It was busy as we passed but i would be interested what it would change hands for nowadays. Maybe next time i am in there i will ask.

P.S. Next year, assuming i am still around It will be 70 years since i took a Saturday Job in there on the Game Row for 5/- for the day, 7a.m. 'till 6p.m.