Water Lane closure.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Water Lane closure.

Post by Leodian »

Water Lane at its end by Bridgewater Place has very recently been closed so that work can start on the wind reducing system in this area. These are a couple of photos that I took on February 2nd 2017.

One thing that was very obvious in the 15 minutes or so that I was in the area from around 12:10 was that quite a number of car drivers seemed unaware of the closure (or knew but were hoping access was still possible) judged by their sudden braking and sharp turns, with some looking to be very dangerous turns. :shock:
WaterLaneClosureFeb022017.jpg
WaterLaneClosureFeb022017.jpg (98.57 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
WaterLaneClosureFromVictoriaRoadNevilleStreetFeb022017..jpg
WaterLaneClosureFromVictoriaRoadNevilleStreetFeb022017..jpg (110.69 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Re: Water Lane closure.

Post by tilly »

You would think in this day and age they would know there would be a problem putting a building of that size there.I would not know but then i was never payed hundreds of thousands a year or had enough brains to study building Techniques.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]You would think in this day and age they would know there would be a problem putting a building of that size there.I would not know but then i was never payed hundreds of thousands a year or had enough brains to study building Techniques.

What do they intend to do to solve this problem ?.

jma

Post by jma »

They are supposed to be going to install some sort of deflectors in an attempt to deal with the wind; how they will deal with the incompetence that led to this sorry state of affairs is anyone's guess.

By coincidence I walked past here twice on Wednesday and I think the traffic problems noted by Leodian have been caused by poor signs. There have been signs up for a while saying Water Lane was closed when it wasn't. I've also driven in the area tonight coming down Globe Road. When you reach Water Lane there's a diversion sign but it's unclear which way the arrow is directing you. I turned right along Water Lane (towards Domestic Street) and I presume that was wrong, as I saw no further signs for that diversion. I worked my own way back round and all the king's horses and all the king's men were out in Marshall Street where a car was on its roof. I may have saved us some hassle by taking that long way round.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Thanks Leodian for the photos. I have to agree with JMA as per last time the signge for the diversions is totally inadequate. The first indication of Water Lane being closed is the Matrix sign just past Manor Road but too far past to be able to divert down Manor Road, the obvious diversion. I am pretty certain from my vantage point on a bus that the Matrix on the A61 just before Stourton Gyratory is not displaying the same message. Having missed Manor Road there are two options for cars but due to weight restrictions on Victoria Bridge only the one to HGVs. The option to both is to cut very sharply across 3 lanes of traffic to turn right on to Great Wilson Street and back round via Meadow Lane where some of the traffic may have come from in the first place,

The other diversion which is much safer but also much longer is into City Square and out on Aire Street, Whitehall Road and back on Globe Road.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/