Coal Fires.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
buffaloskinner

Re: Coal Fires.

Post by buffaloskinner »

jim wrote:I seem to remember that there was a local saying that I came across in the 1950s about Jackie Turkey's donkey - but can't remember the actual saying! Anybody?
Jim was it this Jackie?

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/y ... -1-2138234

:arrow:
Attachments
Donk.jpg
Donk.jpg (21.68 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

jim

Post by jim »

It would seem likely buffaloskinner, but as I said, my memory is specifically of a "comical saying", the actual detail of which eludes me!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

MiggyBill wrote:
volvojack wrote:Looking at that great picture of MiggyBills donkey reminds me ( Slightly off topic) that there was a manww ith a donkey and cart who lived in a house opposite Alf Cook's on Hunslet Road, he sold firewood and anything else he could et his hands on around the 1950s, He was known locally as Jackie Turkey, his name really was John Aloysius Turkington and this poor donkey was kept in his cellar and brought up the cellar steps outside each morning.
My mam who was from Holbeck, born 1927, often spoke about Jackie Turkey, she said he kept a donkey in the house and in fact sold it umpteen times but every time the new owners let it off its tether it found its own way home and Jackie bought it back for half what he paid. Dont know if this is true but a good story nonetheless. My mams family were called Dunderdale, her grandad had a butchers on or near Mutton Hill, her dad, my grandad was called Noppy Dunderdale and was a bookie, his tik tak man was a lovely gent called Teddy Boyes.

Teddy Boyes used to Tic.Tac at Elland Road Greyhound meetings in the early 50s and as you say he was a very nice quiet lad, unlike his brother Terry Boyes and anothe one Harry Boyes who worked on the top row in Kirkgate Market. Harry's party trick was having 5 or 6 pints on a Friday night in the Punchbowl, Beeston Town St. going into Carlisles pea and pie shop where all the lads used to be and then taking up a "Dare" for a few shillings to drink a bottle of vinegar in 3 0 or 4 gulps. win or lose it was not long before he was outside being sick.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Around the 1950s we used to spend most evenings in the Beeston Billiard Hall on Town Street, among the older lads and men was Noppy Dunderdale, from memory he was tall and slim and was known as the Sage in the place, he seemed to have knowledge on anything that came up in the conversation and we younger lads used to listen intently whenever he spoke, he never raised his voice althhough he spoke quite a lot.. I remember there was a picture of him outside the Punchbowl Pub on a day trip but i can't seem to find it. Secret Leeds.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

Here you are: http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

You are also mentioned in the comments.

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="iansmithofotley"]Hi Jack,

Here you are: http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

You are also mentioned in the comments.

Ian.
Many Thanks for that Ian.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

jim wrote:It would seem likely buffaloskinner, but as I said, my memory is specifically of a "comical saying", the actual detail of which eludes me!
Jackie Turkey was most certainly a real person, my brother managed a small betting office in Meynell Street, Holbeck in the early 50s. and Jackie was it seems a well known regular in the Woolpack pub nearby.

loiner99

Post by loiner99 »

Coal Fires; It makes me smile these days when young couples who have been brought up with only central heating look longingly after coal fires, not knowing the hard work that comes with a warm glow. I remember my mam being the first up, in a freezing house, to get the ashes from the grate and take them outside into the garden (rain, shine or freezing cold). Then comes the time it took to build up the fire and try to light it often by having to put small shovel upright in front and the YEP covering the fireplace to get a good draw. This of course involved the daily gamble of avoiding the whole of the YEP going up in flames and bits of black newspaper floating around the room. Then sometime during the evening it would be somebodies unwanted job to either go down the cellar or maybe even outside to fetch in more coal to build the fire up. Oh the joy of sat round a warm glowing fire only for the wind to change direction and liberally dust your walls with a fine film of coaldust.
I remember everybody without fail could not wait to move into a central heated house and finally get shut of a coal fire. Oh how the wheel goes round. I only hope the "new" coal fires make and clean themselves.
batchoy