Vending Machines

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Vending Machines

Post by volvojack »

When i was in the R.A.F. Bristol in the 1950s, we used to walk back to camp on a night and we could buy a pint of cold mik in a waxed cardboard holder for 6d. from a vending machine. My sister seems to think there was one in the Railway stations in Leeds earlier than that but she can't recall which one. I personally can't remember this at all. Maybe someone else can.
Imagine having those cigarette and chewing gum machines out in the open all night like they were years ago with the hooligans that roam the streets these days.

Always wondered why the Railway Station on Wellington St was called "Central Station" when it was not central really.
Last edited by volvojack on Wed 07 Dec, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jim

Re: Vending Machines

Post by jim »

volvojack wrote: Always wondered why the Railway Station on Wellington St was called "Central Station" when it was not central really.
The original proposal was for the line to extend further, putting the terminus on Infirmary Street on more or less the site of the City Square Post Office. After heated discussion (and a review of the cost!) the line as built terminated on Wellington Street. The "Central" title may have been a holdover from the preliminary proposal.
Last edited by jim on Wed 07 Dec, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Hello VolvoJack, there used to be a milk vending machine outside Tallants shop at Middleton circus late 50's early 60's, if I remember correctly it dispensed half pint cartons of milk. I think there was also orange juice, the type that the milkman used to deliver.
Please see attached pic of my dad outside our shop on Town Street Middleton, Joans Olde Village Shop, you can see several vending machines, ciggies, Milky Way, bubblegum etc. In the 60's thyere were lots of cig machines all over the place, wouldn't last long now before they were robbed/vandalised.
Attachments
untitled20dg.jpg
untitled20dg.jpg (52.38 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
dadshop1.JPG
dadshop1.JPG (283.75 KiB) Viewed 1903 times

loiner99

Post by loiner99 »

Oh the sight of Beech Nut. I used to check every machine I saw hoping the arrow pointed forwrard. Put your mony in and you got two packets! Joy of joys.
batchoy

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

loiner99 wrote:Oh the sight of Beech Nut. I used to check every machine I saw hoping the arrow pointed forwrard. Put your mony in and you got two packets! Joy of joys.
Hi :).

That's now got me singing the "With the fourth you get one more an extra packet free". ;)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Leodian wrote:
loiner99 wrote:Oh the sight of Beech Nut. I used to check every machine I saw hoping the arrow pointed forwrard. Put your mony in and you got two packets! Joy of joys.

That's now got me singing the "With the fourth you get one more an extra packet free".

Just the oposite was some P.K. chewing gum machines outside shops. you put your penny in, tisted the knob and nothing. then banging the macine to get your money back produced nothing and of course the shop was closed.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

MiggyBill wrote:Hello VolvoJack, there used to be a milk vending machine outside Tallants shop at Middleton circus late 50's early 60's, if I remember correctly it dispensed half pint cartons of milk. I think there was also orange juice, the type that the milkman used to deliver.
Please see attached pic of my dad outside our shop on Town Street Middleton, Joans Olde Village Shop, you can see several vending machines, ciggies, Milky Way, bubblegum etc. In the 60's thyere were lots of cig machines all over the place, wouldn't last long now before they were robbed/vandalised.

Thats a great picture Bill, as you say those machines would not last one night..