Fish and Chip Cafe

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
jnmykn

Post by jnmykn »

Hi AllAm looking for a fish and chip cafe that is in, or within walking distance of, central Leeds. Somewhere you can have a sit down meal.My favourite place, off Merrion St (Nash's?) seems to have closed, so I have been going to a place off the bottom of Kirkgate (Jakes?). But this place isnt as good as Nash's was. I have never managed to find anywhere else, so I am posting this message here in the hopes someone knows somewhere.Gratefull for any replies - John

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi jnmkyn and welcome!Not tried it myself but I've had good reports ofa fish restaurant and takeaway called 'Battered' Can't remember the exact locationbut I think it's in Yellow pages. Just had a look in Yell/P and it gives the add as:5a Brewery Place. (Nr Tetley's?) Tel;Leeds2435761.Others,that I can recommend personally areBrett's on North Lane and Bryan's on WeetwoodLane next to the 3 Horseshoes.Both well worth a short bus trip from Albion St!CheersArry Awk

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Battered - Great on a half price Tuesaday night, but otherwise is probably the most expensive fish and chips every - but you can get Dom Perignon there!!!

jnmykn

Post by jnmykn »

Thanks for that Arry and LS.Will try the Battered next time I am in Leeds. Dom P seems a bit odd, was hoping for a cup of tea or some Tizer :-)I have been to Bryans up in Headingley when at the cricket. I thought it a bit far to go when shopping in the centre. But have not thought about the bus, presumably there are plenty from the bottom of Woodhouse Lane.Seems odd that once upon a time there was plenty of fish and chip restaurants now they all seem to be dying out. Would have thought there were enough old farts like me about to keep them in business, but not so - pity.Best Wishes - John

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

yes, most of the Headingley buses leave from opposite the postoffice/macdonalds' entrance to the St John's centre.Don't forget Brett's on North Lane. Nearer than Bryan's but notso posh!If you fancy a trip to Otley one day then, on the way back toLeeds, get off the33 or 747 (Airport)bus at Murgatroyd's in Yeadon. fully licensed but not sure abt Dom Perignon! Pensioners' special is abt £7 for three courses (Including fish and chips and mushy peas and cuppa tea!)Lovely haddock but a wide choice also. You can't miss Murgy's, right on the crossroads opposite the new Beefeater RestaurantThere's also,on the same crossroads, a smaller fish restaurant which I've heard is very good,called 'The Fountain' but the restaurant only opens Fri,Sat and Sundays! That's how we found Murgy's cos the Fountain was shut on a Tuesday!Takeaway is openof course.Think I'll apply to be a stand in for Oliver in the YEP!All for tonightCheers Arry AwkPS I'm presuming you are a pensioner with a bus pass!

stevief

Post by stevief »

arry awk wrote: yes, most of the Headingley buses leave from opposite the postoffice/macdonalds' entrance to the St John's centre.Don't forget Brett's on North Lane. Nearer than Bryan's but notso posh!If you fancy a trip to Otley one day then, on the way back toLeeds, get off the33 or 747 (Airport)bus at Murgatroyd's in Yeadon. fully licensed but not sure abt Dom Perignon! Pensioners' special is abt £7 for three courses (Including fish and chips and mushy peas and cuppa tea!)Lovely haddock but a wide choice also. You can't miss Murgy's, right on the crossroads opposite the new Beefeater RestaurantThere's also,on the same crossroads, a smaller fish restaurant which I've heard is very good,called 'The Fountain' but the restaurant only opens Fri,Sat and Sundays! That's how we found Murgy's cos the Fountain was shut on a Tuesday!Takeaway is openof course.Think I'll apply to be a stand in for Oliver in the YEP!All for tonightCheers Arry AwkPS I'm presuming you are a pensioner with a bus pass! Could be the start of another thread-'The Lost Fish 'n' Chip Shops of Leeds'You're right about Yeadon Arry,it's spoilt for fish'n'chip shops.There's another one half a mile down High Street called The Little Fisherman,a bit limited for opening times but first rate f&c's.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Does Richards down New York Stret have some tables in? Can't remember... But I can smell them now!

simonm

Post by simonm »

Nash's CLOSED DOWN????? Please tell me your kidding?
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

jnmykn

Post by jnmykn »

Hi SimonI think its Nash's, its a fish and chip restaurant on the first floor of a building that has two entrances, one in Merrion street and the other in a cul-de-sac off Upper Briggate. Has a lot of "stars" signatures with compliments on the walls. Been shut for a long time now. Originally it had a notice on the door claiming to be closed for refurbishment. Have been back several times over the last year but no refurbishment and the place getting more grimey outside. Have stopped going round there these last 3 months or so, its possible it may have reopened, although I doubt it.All the best - John

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

LS1 wrote: Does Richards down New York Stret have some tables in? Can't remember... But I can smell them now! Richards has a 'shelf' running round the walls and some dodgey stools to sit on, not exactly a cafe.
Love a Landrover