Mansion, Potternewton Lane.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Mansion, Potternewton Lane.

Post by volvojack »

The current subject of the old Servicemen's Hospital in Chapel Allerton reminds me that their once was a Mansion on Potternewton Lane for children with limb disabilities. I was there from about the age of about two to three years having treatment and therapy. this place was somewhere on the opposite side of the road to the hospital and approx halfway down the Lane. it was a large detached building situated in lovely grounds and as i grew older i was given lessons in reading and writing by my Mother and Sister as everything at the school was geared to the physical. most of us wore leg irons from the heel to our thigh on each leg, I was fortunate to be able to leave there about the age of ten as the bones in my knee caps had fully developed and i could then begin normal school. as this was over seventy years ago i am vague as regards the actual location.
Don't recall the name of this place but think it was Potternewton...........? Would like to know what it is is today.

P.s. i think i asked this before but did not get a reply.

tilly

Re: Mansion, Potternewton Lane.

Post by tilly »

Not the best start in life volvojack glad every thing worked out .All the best Sid.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jim

Post by jim »

The building volvojack refers to sounds like the mansion at the top of Potternewton Park, Which I believe fits his site description and one-time use. It stands back from Harehills Lane, a continuation of Potternewton Lane.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

tilly wrote:Not the best start in life volvojack glad every thing worked out .All the best Sid.
Thank you Syd for that kind word and also the othe posters.
It certainly looks like the place though it is a long time ago. I was born on the newly built Gipton Estate and my parent coming from the Bank, Richmond Hill had seen children and adults with limb problems and luckily for me they were not going to let me be the same. My Mother took me to Coldcotes Circus each morning where i was put on a bus which collected other children, in later years i walked up and back home myself. wearing the leg irons / calipers was cumbersome as each one had 3 leather straps and knee bandages to keep the limb erect. the two metal rods went down each side and into the heel. every now and then i would break a rod and that meant a visit to the only place that made them "Vizard's in Gt George St. as there was no N.H.S. his meant a bill for my Ma.
Did get some Stick walking down South Farm Road from the local kids every now and then but would hate to think what a youngster would have to put up with nowadays.

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

hyperion3 wrote:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 13_7084292
from the Excellent Leodis site

Thank you also for this hyperion.