Gary Sprake R.I.P.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Gary Sprake R.I.P.

Post by volvojack »

Just read that Gary Sprake the Leeds United Goalkeeper in their famous side of the 1960's and 70's died yesterday.
Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times and found him to be a very unassuming gentleman.
United have never ever had an International "Goalie" as I recall and Gary was certainly the best United have ever had.

R.I.P.

MiggyBill

Re: Gary Sprake R.I.P.

Post by MiggyBill »

Hi VolvoJack, to my knowledge Leeds United have had at least four international goalkeepers -
Gary Sprake was Wales goalkeeper 1963 to 74 winning 37 caps, followed by David Harvey who was Scotland Goalkeeper 1972 to 76 with 17 caps, Nigel Martyn started his international career whilst at Crystal Palace but continued for England whilst at Leeds 1996 - 2003 earning a total of 23 caps and Paul Robinson was England Goalkeeper 2003 to 2007, although he left Leeds in 2004, earning 41 caps in all.
Neil Sullivan was a Scotland international but by the time he came to Leeds his international career was over - does that count as four and a half? :)

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hi There Miggy Bill,
Can't Believe I actually wrote that. I spent many times watching all of these players guess its'' time for the knackers yard for me.
Your mention of David Harvey reminds me of a midweek match, European Cup against Celtic in Glasgow. we had lost the first leg at Elland Road and my pals and i were jammed in with over 120,000, mainly Jocks roaring their heads off. B.Bremner quietened them down with a cracking goal but later in the match Sprakey got injured and D. Harvey substituted, We lost 2-1 and when i got back to Leeds I got the sack for going up there. Faux Pas are becoming a Speciality of mine lately.

P.S. Bill My Grandkids keeps winding me up saying i have got Dementia........ They will be sorry when they wake up on Xmas morning and find there are no Easter Eggs under the Bonfire

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

volvojack wrote:Hi There Miggy Bill,
Can't Believe I actually wrote that. I spent many times watching all of these players guess its'' time for the knackers yard for me.
Your mention of David Harvey reminds me of a midweek match, European Cup against Celtic in Glasgow. we had lost the first leg at Elland Road and my pals and i were jammed in with over 120,000, mainly Jocks roaring their heads off. B.Bremner quietened them down with a cracking goal but later in the match Sprakey got injured and D. Harvey substituted, We lost 2-1 and when i got back to Leeds I got the sack for going up there. Faux Pas are becoming a Speciality of mine lately.

P.S. Bill My Grandkids keeps winding me up saying i have got Dementia........ They will be sorry when they wake up on Xmas morning and find there are no Easter Eggs under the Bonfire
That made me chuckle, thanks VJ

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Further to VolvoJack's comment re the Celtic match, when we played them at Elland Road my dad had bought 16 tickets as you were allowed four per set of coupons and away programmes / season ticket holder, we had season tickets but always bought extra programmes at every match home and away. He sold 14 of them to Celtic supporters for many times their face value. My friend Andrew Murdoch and I kept and used the remaining two, needless to say once inside the ground we were surrounded by Celtic fans! I must add that they were great fun, giving us their scarves after the match, we were only 11 - 12 at the time and it was very exciting being in the middle of all the Scots.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hi again Bill, This European Cup Semi Final versus Celtic second leg the crowd was actually over 136,000 and we were treated like lords before and after the game because the Scots we met had been welcomed by the Leeds folks before and after the previous match.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Just remembered another International Goalkeeper that played for Leeds, Scottish Tommy Younnger, he had played at one time for Liverpool and later someone recommended him to Don Revie, I do recall my brother and I standing on the Kop and remarking how small he was for a Goalie. Sadly Tommy was well past his sell date when he played for United but they were desperate in that department.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

MiggyBill wrote:Further to VolvoJack's comment re the Celtic match, when we played them at Elland Road my dad had bought 16 tickets as you were allowed four per set of coupons and away programmes / season ticket holder, we had season tickets but always bought extra programmes at every match home and away. He sold 14 of them to Celtic supporters for many times their face value. My friend Andrew Murdoch and I kept and used the remaining two, needless to say once inside the ground we were surrounded by Celtic fans! I must add that they were great fun, giving us their scarves after the match, we were only 11 - 12 at the time and it was very exciting being in the middle of all the Scots.
48 years ago today
https://twitter.com/CelticFC/status/980354257454026757
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tilly

Post by tilly »

How time fly's where do the years go,the older you get the quicker the go .
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

IBack in the days when Gary Sprake was the United goalkeeper in one match against Liverpool he made a save and then unfortunately threw the ball back into his own net. The Scouse crowd, from then on always sang "Careless Hands" (a Des Oconnor hit)
So What goes around, comes around,
Last night in the European Cup Final the Liverpool Goalkeeper made Two Errors so I woder what that song would sound sung in Spanish.

There was a report on the International News that after the Match approx. 5,000 Liverpool fans went on the rampage in KIev. the 1,000 or so Police were unable to contain them as they went through the town, smashing windows, wrecking Bars and Cafes
Speaking this morning the Mayor of Kiev has thanked the Fans for the improvements the have made last night.