New Briggate.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

New Briggate.

Post by Leodian »

A 'Where was this photo taken?" thread of mine (started September 11 2016 http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6119) was about the site of the old Balmforth's building on Meanwood Road. The site is now occupied by Magnet Kitchens and in an interesting comment LS1 noted that Magnet gives its address as North Street, not Meanwood Road. Perhaps it is an error on Magnet's part or maybe Meanwood Road was just considered not up-market enough.

What a building's address is then came to my mind when I found the address for Richer Sounds (the old building that used to be a chest clinic) is 74 New Briggate. Though I have never given any thought to the short stretch of curved road there I would probably not have said it was part of New Briggate, which I would have said ended where it ran over the Inner Ring Road to became North Street.

I wonder if there are any other bits of roads in Leeds that are not part of a road that might be expected?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

buffaloskinner

Re: New Briggate.

Post by buffaloskinner »

Leodian wrote:an interesting comment LS1 noted that Magnet gives its address as North Street, not Meanwood Road. Perhaps it is an error on Magnet's part or maybe Meanwood Road was just considered not up-market enough.
It is the Royal Mail who designate addresses and postcodes, I know this from numerous dealings with them, it could therefore be someone in that department who has looked at a map as assumed that North Street went straight on. Magnet seem happy with the address it seems otherwise they could have applied to have it changed to Meanwood Road.

On the 1891 map New Briggate ends at the old public dispensary (Richer Sounds) and North Street begins.
Attachments
Map 1891.JPG
Map 1891.JPG (249.71 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Re: New Briggate.

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for your help buffaloskinner :).

I like old maps, particularly to see just how areas change over time. I wonder if in say 50 years time map lovers will compare today's maps with what were there then and be surprised (even amazed!) at the change.

PS. If the Bench Mark (BM) at the end of Merrion Street is still there I could not find it recentlyish, so if it is there it is hidden.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.