NIT NURSE.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

NIT NURSE.

Post by volvojack »

Does anybody remember the Lady who used to come from the Health department to your school unnanounced to check for Head Lice. whatever her title was to us kids she was known as the Nit Nurse. At my School, Mount St. Mary's Richmond Hill this person used to come and was allotted a spare classroom. she was short, on the fattish side and wore a dark blue uniform and hat ( she was the double of Nurse Gladys in the original "Open All Hours" ) She would sit on a chair and we would file in a line.Once in front of her you had to bend your head while she looked through your hair, then for what ever reason she would pull the front of your trousers forward, look in, blow once and then onto the next lad. I have thought many times over the years what this was all about . Those who had a "Mucky 'ead" were given a green card telling their Parents their kid had Nits and what to do about it. This card was promptly torn up and thrown away on the way home.
Fortunately I never had this problem though i must confess when i was older. the thought of finding this women did cross my mind.

Can't imagine the modern day kids having this routine at school, they would be taking selfies with her.