Redeveloping the market - your ideas

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

I think this deserves a seperate threadSimonm wrote:"As the thread is about tunnesl from LCS, I didn't want to hog the thread by moaning about the best market in the country! I love the market, yet so many I worked with thought it was a dross palce to go, full fo scum were the words used by some. Unfortunately, it has fallen from grace over the years, yet the council, as ever, refuse to tend to the issue. Yes they upkeep the building and refurbih it as and when. However, the rents have now got to a point that the traders are closing down faste than at any other time. Like you say, so many European countries treat such municiple buildings with reverence, not us. We force all out and redevelop such into massive shopping malls!I fully agree with your assesment of how it should be done. Part of it ripped out and refurbished to atract a quality modren shopping area. cheap rents, share dividends etc would all be massive encouragement to the decent traders in there! It really is such a shame to see the lack of true support from the council. 3rd largest city in England we may be, however the council are so far up business that the real folk of the city always take a back seat!! "It could be a great assett to this City, a modern flexible indoor facility for lunching, early evening dining and drinking and generally mooching around without getting abused by drunks and burned witha tab end. It could house craft stalls, barber shops, quality busking, shoe shine, nail bars, walk in GP, etc. These are just ideas and some will sound daft. The "old" market is also on a natural slope so a raised performance area could actually turn it into a small but unique concert venue as well.The balconies and offices are totally underused as well.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

Reginal Perrin wrote: I think this deserves a seperate threadSimonm wrote:"As the thread is about tunnesl from LCS, I didn't want to hog the thread by moaning about the best market in the country! I love the market, yet so many I worked with thought it was a dross palce to go, full fo scum were the words used by some. Unfortunately, it has fallen from grace over the years, yet the council, as ever, refuse to tend to the issue. Yes they upkeep the building and refurbih it as and when. However, the rents have now got to a point that the traders are closing down faste than at any other time. Like you say, so many European countries treat such municiple buildings with reverence, not us. We force all out and redevelop such into massive shopping malls!I fully agree with your assesment of how it should be done. Part of it ripped out and refurbished to atract a quality modren shopping area. cheap rents, share dividends etc would all be massive encouragement to the decent traders in there! It really is such a shame to see the lack of true support from the council. 3rd largest city in England we may be, however the council are so far up business that the real folk of the city always take a back seat!! "It could be a great assett to this City, a modern flexible indoor facility for lunching, early evening dining and drinking and generally mooching around without getting abused by drunks and burned witha tab end. It could house craft stalls, barber shops, quality busking, shoe shine, nail bars, walk in GP, etc. These are just ideas and some will sound daft. The "old" market is also on a natural slope so a raised performance area could actually turn it into a small but unique concert venue as well.The balconies and offices are totally underused as well. I agree wholeheartedly with the comment about Leeds Central Market . Far too many people have a negative opinion about the place . I've visited it regularly over the last four decades , it's a Victorian / Edwardian gem with a unique atmosphere and ought to have been treated as such .However it has been neglected by the council ( as owner and landlord ) and to a lesser extent the tenants .I accept keeping it clean on a daily basis is difficult because of the volume of people passing through but more of an effort should be made . If that effort were made the market's present rather seedy image would be vastly improved and a wider cross-section of Leeds shoppers attracted since it offers value for money and a perhaps surprisingly wide range of products . I remember my wife buying what she assured me was a " designer " handbag at an astonishingly low price . Much of the city's infrastructure of which the markets building is a part has been neglected by successive council administrations of all political pursuasions ( sorry about the criticism " dsco " but this comment is meant - if you read it to the end - to be positive overall ) since the end of the second world war . The tram subway and the tramway system was abandoned by a local Labour administration just as 60 years later the much-wanted Leeds Supertram was cancelled by a Labour Transport Secretary .I appreciate the risk of starting a political argument but it's very simplistic ( fashionable though it may be amongst the chattering classes ) to say that it's the result of the council burrowing up the anus of business .Perhaps the large sum of money resulting from the sale to the private sector of Leeds / Bradford Airport ( burrowing up the anus of business ? ) could be used to provide the capital both to build a concert arena within the market buildings complex and to ensure that both market and arena are thoroughly cleaned , serviced and maintained thus attracting visitors to both .
roundhegian

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Good man RoundhegianSome on here would have us believ that the preservation of landmark buildings and the profile of our city are not fair comment on here but I disagree. There is plenty of handwringing when we talk of great building which are no more but surely the use of our current assets is just as important.What is the "old" market now? A small market with a huge half empty modern market attached to it's south east side. It's a no brainer to me, redevelop the old, beautiful building into something that is different to the larger market. Something that attracts a different customer and provides different facilities. There are tea bars and cafe's in both, why? They don't offer anything different, there is a Greggs in both, why? I do use the market but many don't. Don't you think more peopel would go there daily for their fish, meat, game, fruit, veg if they could also wander up into the "old" bit for a fancy coffee and panini (as they would in the City Quarter) and listen to a classical recital, local singer, band, pianist, or watch a few short plays or whatever.It's just such a waste.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.