Citizen's Band Radio

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
MiggyBill

Re: Citizen's Band Radio

Post by MiggyBill »

Hello everyone, last year a relative sent me a picture he had taken back in 1981 and had just come across when he was about to move abroad. when I saw this thread it reminded me so I thought I would post for a laugh. Back in those days my handle was "BillyBritvic" as was my previous name on SecretLeeds. I had a Midland 2000 and a DV27 twig....ha ha, sounds corny now but it was fun at the time, used to go to East Leeds Breakers and A62 Breakers meetings, even went on a convoy to Doncaster racecourse where there was a mass rally with thousands of cbers there. This was in the days when it was illegal, even bought my cb from a dodgy guy in the car park behind The Red Lion at Whinmoor.....all cloak and dagger like. Makes me laugh now.
Attachments
CB1981a - Copy.jpg
CB1981a - Copy.jpg (203.16 KiB) Viewed 1914 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi MiggyBll Great photograph thanks for posting i have had loads of radios Cobra148 Summercamp Adioline to name a few i used the Adioline on the road when i was a rep the high and low button i had converted so when i switched to low and keyed the mike it crowed like a cockerel that was the other side of me when not dx ing plus a 200 watt burner in the car with a big lorry battery in the foot well to run it good days.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Ey up Tilly, those were the days, at the time I lived in a upstairs maisonette on the SouthCroft estate at Middleton, I had a metal dustbin lid on the balcony that I fixed my twig to and also a booster, at first I used a spare car battery and charger but eventually got a proper powerpack lol, used to take out of car and plug in upstairs, often till the early hours as it got a bit quieter and you could get a bit further.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

tyke bhoy wrote:
TABBYCAT wrote: I ended up, on his advice, in a car park near to Fylingdales early warning station attempting long distance contact.
This led to me literately bumping into the woman who 12 weeks later became my wife and after thirty odd years we're still together so thanks CB and more-so my old mate "Sunlounger" (sorry couldn't resist)
Your wife iwasn't in the RMP or RAF Regiment perchance? ;) I could certainly believe military security would want to bump into anyone using communication equipment in the vicinity of Fylingdales in the early 80's
Only just seen this so aplogies for tardy reply.

No she was a burler and mender from Salts mill and as for Fylingdales, a helicopter did appear and hovered overhead as we were warned it would do,we carried on broadcasting as advised and once they realised we were just CB'rs DXing off they went.

Craig-7169

Post by Craig-7169 »

I. Had a Cb would like to set up a home base again and teach some younger generation how to have fun ! Any1 know of any1 selling a decent full setup please