Promote your local trader!!

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
simonm

Post by simonm »

Seeing as LCC has no Gumption to promote the small local traders in the third largest city in England, maybe we should be doing so here????I would like to name a chap called Bill Cadmore, who produces his own honey. He has apieries (sp) in several sites in the yorkshire region, but I buy the honey from the Horsforth / Rodley site. He sells his produce in three shops, which areCrannberries in AdelCulinary Quest in AdelBarretts of Cookridgeyou can also contact him direct, if you need to email me and I'll let you have his email addy! It does cost a little more than normal, but believe me it's well worth it!! Thanks
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

A far more appropriate place would be www.leedsliveitloveit.com, which features many of the independent traders in Leeds - about 500 different shops around the city.There's a small link to it over on the left hand side of this page somewhere...dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

simonm

Post by simonm »

DSCO, I stand corrected, somewhat. However, although it does give some good advice on various markest etc, I still feel that this site could still have it's own thread of good, quality local producers of anything somewhere in the threads.It would be crackign to see the posters on here promoting their local hero, as it were. A local trader that is a good cut above the rest, be it food, service, craft, owt!! Like my entry, unless the chap decides to go to the farmers market (and can afford the rent for the day) few would know he exists. The deli he has his wares in is also a cracking local shop, also a small cafe as well!! C'mon Leeds, lets put our local traders up in lightsOr am I pi**ing in the wind here?????
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

slightly off topic here but anyone help me out in my quest for a decent bag of fish and chips here in leeds?? it seems that the good old chippy is a dying breed , and yes i agree with with you simon it cannot possibly do any harm having a local traders reference over here on secret leeds, just as long as people use it to tell us of good experiences they have had and not bad "dream like" experiences LOL.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Critchley's at the side of Leeds Markets is a realy good f&c shop. Depends on whereabouts you are!

pid

Post by pid »

cant remember the name of it but the chippy on the roundabout of potternewton lane and scotthall road was always a belter and park fisheries on beeston road is now my chip shop of choice . i want them now and its only eleven o clock !

sulkycat

Post by sulkycat »

excellent idea for a thread!will email you simonm, would like the honey man - er, i would like the honey, not the man! (unless its johnny depp, in which case stuff the honey)am wracking my brains, but crafty things i tend to go back home to the sticks in north yorks (or make them myself) - would love someone to recommend an organic delivery firm (the one i used to use was very average) and a really good little caf in the centre of leeds

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

I was really meaning that the shop, deli and anything else could all be advertised for free on leedsliveitloveit.com, in addition to any markets info.Also, the website is run by Marketing Leeds and supported by Leeds City Council. So we are doing things to promote small traders and independent shops. The site is used by anything up to 200,000 unique visitors per month so there is a substantial audience there.SecretLeeds wasn't really intended for that sort of thing, but I'd be happy to see a thread of 'local food heroes' in General Chat if that is what people want.However ...Where you are overstepping the mark is your use of bad language. Thought I'd made our position on 'asterisking' clear, but to restate this, it is not acceptable. Can you stop it in future please?dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Chippies - for me, you just can't beat Brett's in Headingley. Beautiful fish, well cooked, great chips. Perfect - well worth the trip.Mmm, hungry now.dsco

moggy

Post by moggy »

Hi allTotaly agree with you pid about park fisheries superb best they have been for the last thirty odd years. I remember one owner way back when used to sell that trangular shaped frozen cash and carry rubbish !!I 'll pass your comments onto simon i will be in at teatime who knows free fish for life!!!    regards Moggy