Does anyone know what caused this damage?

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Does anyone know what caused this damage?

Post by Leodian »

Passing on Great George Street today (Feb 18 2016) I noticed this damage at what was the below street level Carpe Diem bar at the old Leeds School Board building (the entrance to that is on Calverley Street). I have not passed there for a few weeks so I don't know how long the damage may have been done but I know that the bar closed a few months back. The first 2 photos show the damaged area and the third is a view of the building across Great George Street.
Damage on Great George Street (taken Feb 18 2016).
744R.jpg (131.43 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
748R.jpg (140.7 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
The Great George Street side of the old Leeds School Board building (taken Feb 18 2016).
The Great George Street side of the old Leeds School Board building (taken Feb 18 2016).
750R.jpg (108.66 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

hyperioncantlogin

Re: Does anyone know what caused this damage?

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

Can't help with this one Leo
I thought they removed Iron Railing years ago to make Spitfire's

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Someone crashing into it seems most likely looking at the damage
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

hyperioncantlogin wrote:Can't help with this one Leo
I thought they removed Iron Railing years ago to make Spitfire's

Iron Railings were removed for the "War Effort" to scrap from Parks, Cemetery's and most Public and Private Buildings. one of the exceptions were where the railings protected people from falling into basements. good examples are the many of the property's in London, Bath etc. This, I think, applied in this case and it certainly looks like it has been hit with some force.
Sad to see something like that may never be the same again.

Good examples of original ironwork protecting basements are in the streets around the Greek Street area.

P.s. Just had another look at the photo's and maybe it is just some sort of subsidence as the Railings do not actually seem too badly damaged

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Only noticed this damage myself last Friday, so I think it must be fairly recent ?? Looking down into the basement I'm not sure that I'd have liked to eat anything down there, as with a good many "subterranian" restaurants . Having said that, in the early 1950s, we used to have lunches in the Glenburn Cafe which was downstairs in the Pearl Assurance building, junction East Parade and South Parade, and still here to tell the tale !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Blakey its probabbutly getting on for a decade since I was last in but Carpe Dieme was quite smart back then and was a pub rather than restaurant. Its probably lucky it did close recently making it much less likely anybody was on the steps.

Pure speculation on my part but is its possible that inability to fund repairs to loose stonework holding the railings was a reason for its closure because it became dangerous to enter/exit? Again speculation but I suspect the railings probably did survive an impact from a crash because their loose footings giving way absorbed much of the impact. While not ruling it out I would have thought subsidence less likely given the building has been there well over 100 years. Of course more than a decade of the loop may well have weakened the mortar.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I went up to Leeds on Sunday from Gloucester to stay with my sister Mary in Cross gates and contacted a few of my old pals one of which invited me last night to a Jazz session over in the Armley area. Coming down York Road about 7.30 pm. we were diverted off near what was the old Woodpecker, back on,then off again at Mabgate, along Regent St. up to where I thought we would rejoin the Inner Ring Rd but no, back of Civic Hall, Infimary,Youth courts and then there still was no access to the Gytratory, sent along Burley Rd. and finally got to my destination.

Good night with old friends and thought I will not get caught again going home so when we were sent off again ,
at the Burley Rd, exit I went right and up by the back of the Town Hall heading for Merrion St. Low and Behold there was the damaged railing structure on my right hand side. Sadly quite Impressive damage even at night but it was so strange to actually see it after seeing the Pictures only a few days ago. Got home easily after that.

P.s. I understand that the Inner ring road is closed every night at the moment for Bridge repairs. certainly my journey across town was a nightmare.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Correct on the reason for your diversion Volvojack and its been going on for 12months+ with some Saturday and Sunday daytime closures or contraflow too.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Passing by the site today (June 2 2016) I noticed that the damage still looks the same. I wonder whose responsibility it is to repair it? Perhaps the structural damage to the building is worse than it looks.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

rikj

Post by rikj »

As of yesterday seemed like extensive repairs being made here. Only drove past but looked to be new stonework going in.