Holbeck. Official Red Light District of Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
j.c.d.

Holbeck. Official Red Light District of Leeds.

Post by j.c.d. »

Have read today a half page article in the Daily Mail that the Leeds Council has decided to make Holbeck an "Official Red Light District" does that mean there will be an exodus of "Working Girls" moving over from Chapeltown as it does make a point that no one will be prosecuted for plying their trade.

Maybe the re emergence of the Spotted Cow

dogduke

Re: Holbeck. Official Red Light District of Leeds.

Post by dogduke »

The Chapel town prostitution problem has apparently been long gone,hence this Holbeck
situation or its not as obvious as it was.

Only guessing but I think the large ethnic population became less than tolerant to their presence
in Chapeltown.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

baldoldfatbloke

Post by baldoldfatbloke »

I don't know about "official", they keep calling it "managed". They are letting the women work without being troubled by plod between 7am and 7pm but what about the customers? Are they still being nicked? I used to work in Holbeck and was taken aback one evening outside the long gone post office to be asked if I "wanted business".

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

When I was at Headingley depot in the 1970s/1980s we had a most likeable driver who was Greek and was a very well educated man who loved Yorkshire and its dialect etc. Despite being very well spoken indeed and totally fluent in correct English his superb impersonations of everyday local things that he heard, both on and off the buses, used to have us in stitches. One day he came chuckling into the depot and told me that he'd cashed in at Sovereign Street depot and had been walking up Call Lane by the erstwhile Star and Garter pub when a disreputable tart had accosted him with "Der yer want owt luv ?? An amused George had replied "Not today Honey thanks !!"
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I may have been in part of the managed area on October 27 2015 when I was wandering around taking photos, though that I may have been in that area never crossed my mind. Thinking back I wonder what the people thought I wanted when I went up to some before I asked for directions to Marshall Street (I wanted to see the Temple Mill/Temple Works site, honest!). ;)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Leodian wrote:I may have been in part of the managed area on October 27 2015 when I was wandering around taking photos, though that I may have been in that area never crossed my mind. Thinking back I wonder what the people thought I wanted when I went up to some before I asked for directions to Marshall Street (I wanted to see the Temple Mill/Temple Works site, honest!). ;)

"Tell that to the Magistrate" ....... Or maybe now that kerbcrawlers and punters are not to be cautioned by the Police after 7pm. he might well be down there himself.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

j.c.d. wrote:
Leodian wrote:I may have been in part of the managed area on October 27 2015 when I was wandering around taking photos, though that I may have been in that area never crossed my mind. Thinking back I wonder what the people thought I wanted when I went up to some before I asked for directions to Marshall Street (I wanted to see the Temple Mill/Temple Works site, honest!). ;)

"Tell that to the Magistrate" ....... Or maybe now that kerbcrawlers and punters are not to be cautioned by the Police after 7pm. he might well be down there himself.
Hi j.c.d. That made me :).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Leodian wrote:
j.c.d. wrote:

Hi j.c.d. That made me :).
Thanks for that. I should imagine there are a few quips that could connect that area with the "Ladies of the Night", must have think.

hyperioncantlogin

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

How about having the beer pop and crisp night at pete lorimer's pub. Then you could kill two birds with one stone .Opps only joking.I'll get my Burberry.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

hyperioncantlogin wrote:How about having the beer pop and crisp night at pete lorimer's pub. Then you could kill two birds with one stone .Opps only joking.I'll get my Burberry.

Peters still not in the Commercial is he ?. thought he would have moved on long ago. It was only a busy pub when Kay's mail order co. was opposite and even then quiet in the evenings.
Think Les Moon was the landlord who had the best years out of it.