Slang

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Re: Slang

Post by Leodian »

The use of stoating/stotting is interesting as stot is a word used for the bouncing/leaping behaviour of deers (I think pronk is also used).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

The strangest use of slang i can recall in Leeds was when i heard a lad in Harehills W.Ms. Club refer to someone "Oh i know him, he's a Jowett"
It's more than likely someone will come up the answer but i will just hold off for an hour or two.
Him and his Wife were Licencees in various Pubs around Leeds.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Leodian wrote:The use of stoating/stotting is interesting as stot is a word used for the bouncing/leaping behaviour of deers (I think pronk is also used).
I have just read this post. I know the following isn't about Leeds, but I it caught me eye. I now live in Northumberland and at the golf club where I play with the seniors we play cards after our 9 holes. We play crash and if someone has a run of the same suit they say, for example, 8,9,10 stotting.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

Are you sure that the person was not referring to a family called 'Jowett' or their extended family? Or am I being too simplistic?

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="iansmithofotley"]Hi Jack,

Are you sure that the person was not referring to a family called 'Jowett' or their extended family? Or am I being too simplistic?

Ian
Hello Ian,
This is most certainly slang, as a clue it is a part of rhyming slang.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

On reflection i realise this is too difficult and not fair to ask as i have only ever heard it the once. The lads in question were discussing Cathy Sims, brother of Barry Sims the Leeds rugby Player. Cathy was quite a character in the early 1960s and even before she became a Licensee of some City Centre Pub she took up with a an ex. New Zealand Rugby player who had been in the New Zealand Navy and now was living in Beeston. His name was Johnny Wilson and going back to the original quote "He was a Jowry" which it seems was short for Jowett and Sowry. ( Maori ) the Printers that used to be Albion Street.
Sorry to be a bit obscure but i was quite baffled myself
Regards Ian. Jack Daly

tilly

Post by tilly »

Wow Jack that would take some getting are you sure you were not a mince pie in the past.He.He. :lol: :lol:
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

"tilly"]Wow Jack that would take some getting are you sure you were not a mince pie in the past.He.He. :lol: :lol:[/quote]
I
i knew all the Sims lads plus Cathy and Jean. if anyone got on the wrong side of her they would have to be extremely careful. Johnny, on the other hand was the most mild tempered man you could meet.
If i remember correctly the last Pub she ran was the Shaftesbury on York Road.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

I'm not surprised that nobody knew the answer to your question, personally I've never heard the expression 'Jowett' before.

I remember Cathy and Johnny being the licensees of the Golden Cock in Kirkgate around 1968. They must have managed more pubs in Leeds than anyone else, ever.

Ian

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Jack its a bit early but all the best for Christmas to you and your family .Same to you Ian.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.