Slang

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
blackprince
PostsCOLON 649
JoinedCOLON Tue 04 Sep, 2007 2:10 pm

Re: Slang

Postby blackprince » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 5:12 pm

volvojack wroteColonI know that Laikin' Is a Yorkshire expression for playing but when i try and Google it, there is not a clear definition.

Also we always used the Expression "Right as Ninepence" meaning we were O.K. Don't know where that came from

Funny you should mention this. A week or two back I was watching a Scandinavian thriller on TV and there was one short sentence about children playing I understood without subtitles because it was pure Yorkshire dialect It sounded like " the bairns were laikin ".
I looked it up and the Swedish for play is "leka" and "leker" , Danish is "lega". So maybe a legacy of the Viking kingdom of Jorvik which covered most of Yorkshire?
More simply, it could just be a corruption of " larking " as in "larking about".
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!
volvojack
PostsCOLON 970
JoinedCOLON Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:57 am

Postby volvojack » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 9:22 am

blackprince wroteColon
volvojack wroteColonI know that Laikin' Is a Yorkshire expression for playing but when i try and Google it, there is not a clear definition.

Also we always used the Expression "Right as Ninepence" meaning we were O.K. Don't know where that came from

Funny you should mention this. A week or two back I was watching a Scandinavian thriller on TV and there was one short sentence about children playing I understood without subtitles because it was pure Yorkshire dialect It sounded like " the bairns were laikin ".
I looked it up and the Swedish for play is "leka" and "leker" , Danish is "lega". So maybe a legacy of the Viking kingdom of Jorvik which covered most of Yorkshire?
More simply, it could just be a corruption of " larking " as in "larking about".

Thankyou for that B.P. It certainly sounds right.
volvojack
PostsCOLON 970
JoinedCOLON Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:57 am

Postby volvojack » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 3:51 pm

Further to the expression "Right as Ninepence" meaning 0.K. Another expression "Bent as a Nine Bob Note" means just the opposite. I can understand the second but wonder where the first one originates.

"Sick as a Parrot"
I would bet no one would know where this originates from without referring to Google, etc.
tilly
PostsCOLON 1784
JoinedCOLON Mon 11 Jan, 2010 2:32 pm

Postby tilly » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 4:22 pm

Hi Jack i have also heard bent has a two bob watch.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Return to