Meanwood Park Hospital

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Cardiarms
Posts: 2992
Joined: Tue 21 Oct, 2008 8:30 am

Postby Cardiarms » Mon 04 Jan, 2010 12:42 am

I went morris dancing at the hospital. It's a long story but it starts at Bedford Fields Middle School.
Jogon
Posts: 3036
Joined: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 1:28 pm

Postby Jogon » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 11:42 am

The music is the only light relief on this one.

http://youtu.be/cYcQMpDQeng



Further reading, sad stuff though http://tinyurl.com/bnzc26t
Johnny39
Posts: 894
Joined: Mon 11 Jun, 2007 3:54 pm

Postby Johnny39 » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 3:04 pm

Going back to the late 50's we, the YEP, used to have an annual cricket match at the hospital. Their team was composed in the main of administrative staff but they did have at least one patient, a giant of a man who batted and boy could he hit a ball. We always referred to the hospital as "Meanwood Colony". I hope this wasn't a derogatory term, did anyone else know it as this?
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?
Loiner in Cyprus
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 3:04 pm

Postby Loiner in Cyprus » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 3:26 pm

Johnny39 wrote:
Going back to the late 50's we, the YEP, used to have an annual cricket match at the hospital. Their team was composed in the main of administrative staff but they did have at least one patient, a giant of a man who batted and boy could he hit a ball. We always referred to the hospital as "Meanwood Colony". I hope this wasn't a derogatory term, did anyone else know it as this?

When I lived in Potternewton in the 50s and 60s I always remember it being refered to as 'Meanwood Colony'.

Johnny39
Posts: 894
Joined: Mon 11 Jun, 2007 3:54 pm

Postby Johnny39 » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 3:43 pm

Loiner in Cyprus wrote:
Johnny39 wrote:
Going back to the late 50's we, the YEP, used to have an annual cricket match at the hospital. Their team was composed in the main of administrative staff but they did have at least one patient, a giant of a man who batted and boy could he hit a ball. We always referred to the hospital as "Meanwood Colony". I hope this wasn't a derogatory term, did anyone else know it as this?

When I lived in Potternewton in the 50s and 60s I always remember it being refered to as 'Meanwood Colony'.


Thanks Loiner. On reflection I should have also added, why?
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?
Jogon
Posts: 3036
Joined: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 1:28 pm

Postby Jogon » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 4:02 pm

Johnny39
Your terminology is correct.

It opened as " Meanwood Park Colony for Mental Defectives" around 1920.

[edit] how's S'boro, not been for too long.
silverstealth
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 2:12 pm

Postby silverstealth » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 4:07 pm

I have put together a digital archive dedicated to M.P.H with lots of old images and staff accounts. http://www.meanwoodpark.co.uk/
www.highroydshospital.co.uk
Jogon
Posts: 3036
Joined: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 1:28 pm

Postby Jogon » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 4:09 pm

silverstealth wrote:
I have put together a digital archive dedicated to M.P.H with lots of old images and staff accounts. http://www.meanwoodpark.co.uk/


I know Wink
I put a link to it in my earlier post. V interesting stuff too, I was sad for Geoff Abbott the deaf guy for which 22 years.
Good resource and well crafted / easy to use thanks.

Johnny39
Posts: 894
Joined: Mon 11 Jun, 2007 3:54 pm

Postby Johnny39 » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 4:25 pm

Jogon wrote:
Johnny39
Your terminology is correct.

It opened as " Meanwood Park Colony for Mental Defectives" around 1920.

[edit] how's S'boro, not been for too long.


Thanks Jogon. I would say that that title would be absolutely, "politically incorrect" today. Some things have changed for the better.
How's Scarborough you ask? Well, like most places it has changed in the years since 1979, the year I came. Some things for the better and some things for the worse. I haven't been back to Leeds for about four years and the changes in the 30 odd years I've been away are absolutely unbelievable. I do occasionaly go for a walk around on Google just to see the new buildings and of course the old. I look forward to your next posting on whatever subject.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?
Johnny39
Posts: 894
Joined: Mon 11 Jun, 2007 3:54 pm

Postby Johnny39 » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 4:35 pm

silverstealth wrote:
I have put together a digital archive dedicated to M.P.H with lots of old images and staff accounts. http://www.meanwoodpark.co.uk/


Thanks silverstealth - your posting has answered a lot of questions for me.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2 and 0 guests