Circus

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
farbank

Post by farbank »

Just what period are we talking about here Wiggy.? They could have held bare knuckle fights on any spare ground, anywhere. But we moved into the Drive as first tenants, in 1937. And certainly up to me getting wed and leaving, (1959), there was nowt like that going on. My mother continued living there until about 1972/3. And if any bare knuckle stuff was happening, she never missed a thing ,in that street.!The 'woodyard', as it was always known, was scattered with scrap lorries. All pre-1920's. A great playground in the late 30's for youngsters like me and your namesake, (Brian). I remember the 'Big' lads pushed one off the circus.Towards Foundry Walk. But fortunately, it only careered as far as the privet hedge, of the top house. I got some bare 'knuckle, round my lug'ole from big Jimmy Moran, whilst we were playing about 20-a-side footie. Drive/Grove vs. Avenue/Mount. I kicked him instead of the ball.!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

farbank wrote: Just what period are we talking about here Wiggy.? They could have held bare knuckle fights on any spare ground, anywhere. But we moved into the Drive as first tenants, in 1937. And certainly up to me getting wed and leaving, (1959), there was nowt like that going on. My mother continued living there until about 1972/3. And if any bare knuckle stuff was happening, she never missed a thing ,in that street.!The 'woodyard', as it was always known, was scattered with scrap lorries. All pre-1920's. A great playground in the late 30's for youngsters like me and your namesake, (Brian). I remember the 'Big' lads pushed one off the circus.Towards Foundry Walk. But fortunately, it only careered as far as the privet hedge, of the top house. I got some bare 'knuckle, round my lug'ole from big Jimmy Moran, whilst we were playing about 20-a-side footie. Drive/Grove vs. Avenue/Mount. I kicked him instead of the ball.! i was hoping you'd reply farbank,i don't know what period mate,only that it was on 828,on the where in west yorkshire am i.maybe the radio station can tell us more???
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?