Circus

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Hector

Post by Hector »

I was wondering if anyone knows why bits of Leeds are known as Circus e.g Coldcotes Circus, Torre Road Circus. Are they all in East Leeds or do trhey exist elsewher in the city.

pid

Post by pid »

hello hector , there are indeed others like belle isle circus and i believe this just an english version of the italian piazza or american square . they are roundabouts or convergences of roads as in picadilly and oxford circus . maybe some one else will have more info . pid

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I think it's because the streets form a circle.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

LS1

Post by LS1 »

raveydavey wrote: I think it's because the streets form a circle. I think you might be right!!!!!!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I bet I'm not the only one who found 'Belle Isle Circus' a hell of a let down as a kid when I found out what it was really like!!!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

drapesy wrote: I bet I'm not the only one who found 'Belle Isle Circus' a hell of a let down as a kid when I found out what it was really like!!! hey drapesy,i once sneaked out of the garden(TABOO) and walked up to see the amazing st wilfrids circus,imagine my dismay! i know how you feel mate,since a few weeks before i had done the journey to the fairway to see their roundabout!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I know what you mean.The bus from our house to town went through Coldcotes Circus and I never once saw an elephant or a lion tamer, let alone a big top.Mind you, I have seen a fair few clowns around there....
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

The word CIRCUS is the roman word for circuit or circle! Go figure!!
Love a Landrover

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

rangieowner wrote: The word CIRCUS is the roman word for circuit or circle! Go figure!! circus maximus;flippin' big circle(armley giratory)

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

does anyone know anything about bare knuckle fighting on st wilfrids circus,just heard it on magic 828,bloke said it was the top venue at one time?......help!