Lion in a garage - Scott Hall

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
buffaloskinner

Re: Lion in a garage - Scott Hall

Post by buffaloskinner »

hyperion3 wrote:Just been on a FB site, the subject was zoo's.And the lion in the garage was mentioned,the contributor Malcolm S stated that lion came from Knaresborough zoo when the zoo was closed in the 70's The then owner of the zoo thought it would be a good idea to take the lion home with him. He used to walk it on stainbeck lane on a leash,till it was taken off him by the RSPCA.

:arrow:
Never knew that Nick Nyoka and his wife Barbara lived in Leeds. Used to love the small zoo and took my daughter there many times when she was small.

:arrow:
Attachments
Nick Nyoka.jpg
Nick Nyoka.jpg (226.88 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Wasn't there a private zoo in Garforth, on the A63, in one of the big houses opposite the end of Lidgett Lane
I'm sure I remember seeing Monkeys in cages there, in the 70s

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

The lion was kept in a cage bolted to the side of the house on the corner of Wensley Crescent and Stainbeck lane, the right-hand corner as you are looking into the crescent. It was in the Evening Post at the time, but I have never been able to find any cuttings of it.

I lived about ten houses up on Stainbeck Lane and you could sometimes hear the lion on a night. It did get out once but the owner caught it and returned it to its cage. I always thought it was this escape that prompted the owners to sell it on. It wasn't kept there very long, only about 6 months if I remember correctly, and i think that it would have been about 1970/71.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

This is an amazing story even though it is some years ago, I would not have fancied living nearby.

Also amazing are the collection of photos by johnnyg. who's website is above. I am only part way through looking at them and they really are fabulous.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

I remember seeing a guy walking down Meanwood Road with two young lions on leashes near the cricket pitch/Switchgear, on the opposite side of the road. This would be late 1979 to early 80's. Not sure if it was Nick Nyoko though.
I also remember going to Knaresborough Zoo, and stopping on the way to look at the pets cemetery. The big lion that Nick had was called Ricky, I believe Ricky was blind and used to sleep on the bed with Nick and his wife. I have some pics somewhere, will have to find them.
Off topic but does anyone remember Shipley Glen funfair?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Have a look here for Shipley Glen

http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=1133
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Thank you everyone for the replies and for helping me make a bit more sense of the memory.

Life certainly seemed more colourful back then!

KNA

Post by KNA »

zamba2 wrote:
Tue 26 Jul, 2016 12:13 pm
I certainly do , my friend from primary school lived next door to this lion .First time I saw it was when I went to her birthday party next door to where this lion lived and I was about 4 years old in 1971 and as I walked through the gate there was a lion on the front lawn on just on a chain and nothing to separate us but a tiny low fence between the gardens and I remember hiding behind the wall and peering at this lion all through the party . It was a semi detached house opposite to what is now a police station . Finally someone who beside me and my parents /family who remembers this lion . I told my friend at work who thought what an imagination I must have had as a child and was making it up but then went on to tell her father who also recollects the lion. Brilliant!

KNA

Post by KNA »

Hi,
Just looking at these posts as my daughter asked me about the lion as it lived next to us. I’m curious as it seems you came to my party and wondered who you are, also what a brilliant memory you have.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Just found this, it may be of interest.

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/222789