Lion in a garage - Scott Hall

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Keeper

Lion in a garage - Scott Hall

Post by Keeper »

Okay, firstly let me confirm I'm not making this up...

Like the memory I have of the blue whale on the lorry...

I lived near Scott Hall Road in the 1970s, not far from the Middle school. And I have a very clear memory of queuing up outside someone's house to see the pet lion he was keeping in his garage. A big line of school age children paid a penny (towards to cost of its food, we were told) to see the lion, which I remember was chained up in the garage.

I know it sounds like a dream. From memory, it wasn't there long before it was taken away to a zoo or something. But it happened. And the only 'proof' I have is that my sister came with me.

For the record: a real lion. On a chain. In the garage. Of a normal semi-detached house in a quiet street near school.

Anyone...?

String o' beads

Re: Lion in a garage - Scott Hall

Post by String o' beads »

There's a mention of a pet lion in this YEP report, but it was apparently in Meanwood. So it can't be your one. ;)

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-2121989

Where I was brought up was variously described by the YEP as Harehills, Newtown, East End Park, York Road, Gipton, Richmond Hill, Mabgate and Roundhay. It was Burmantofts. :roll:

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Thank you Geordie! I may have misremembered the exact location, it could have been Meanwood after all - it wasn't far from us.

But how great after all this time to have it confirmed. Thank you for finding it for me.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Geordie-exile wrote:There's a mention of a pet lion in this YEP report, but it was apparently in Meanwood. So it can't be your one. ;)

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-2121989

Where I was brought up was variously described by the YEP as Harehills, Newtown, East End Park, York Road, Gipton, Richmond Hill, Mabgate and Roundhay. It was Burmantofts. :roll:
Hi Geordie-exile :). Not forgetting Ellertofts that was (still is?) part of Burmantofts. My mum used to give blood at a donation unit in Ellertofts. I've got a donation certificate for one she gave at Ellertofts on July 1st 1957, though she did give others. Sorry for going off-topic but I thought I would mention Ellertofts as I suspect it is barely known of now.

PS. Fascinating to hear about the lion.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Hi Leo

Thanks for reminding us about Ellertofts. I remember a previous thread about it. And here it is:

https://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=2525&p=56113

As the clinic seems to be the only mention of Ellertofts it seems possible that they merged Ellerby and Burmantofts to come up with the name for the clinic.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Prior to 1976 anyone could (and did) keep all types of exotic pets without a licence.it could quite likely be that there were more than one lion about.
Once people needed a licence some animals were quietly put down or released by their more caring owners hence the sudden increase in big cats which managed to breed in the wild although not lions.
The situation in Northern Ireland was until very recently that people could keep all types of stuff leading to some interesting encounters for the police there :)
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

zamba2

Post by zamba2 »

I certainly do , my friend from primary school lived next door to this lion .First time I saw it was when I went to her birthday party next door to where this lion lived and I was about 4 years old in 1971 and as I walked through the gate there was a lion on the front lawn on just on a chain and nothing to separate us but a tiny low fence between the gardens and I remember hiding behind the wall and peering at this lion all through the party . It was a semi detached house opposite to what is now a police station . Finally someone who beside me and my parents /family who remembers this lion . I told my friend at work who thought what an imagination I must have had as a child and was making it up but then went on to tell her father who also recollects the lion. Brilliant!

Brodo

Post by Brodo »

Keeper wrote:Okay, firstly let me confirm I'm not making this up...

Like the memory I have of the blue whale on the lorry...

I lived near Scott Hall Road in the 1970s, not far from the Middle school. And I have a very clear memory of queuing up outside someone's house to see the pet lion he was keeping in his garage. A big line of school age children paid a penny (towards to cost of its food, we were told) to see the lion, which I remember was chained up in the garage.

I know it sounds like a dream. From memory, it wasn't there long before it was taken away to a zoo or something. But it happened. And the only 'proof' I have is that my sister came with me.

For the record: a real lion. On a chain. In the garage. Of a normal semi-detached house in a quiet street near school.

Anyone...?
I know you posted this In 2005, but I've just seen it and it brought back a memory.

I remember talk of that lion. I attended Scott Hall school from 1970 to 72 and directly opposite the school in some semi detached houses on Stainbeck Lane is where they said a lion was kept in someones back yards (That was the rumour). I remember saying to a friend, "Flippin ek suppose it escaped and started eating everyone?"

I never actually saw it but it sure was talked about back then.

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

Just been on a FB site,the subject was zoo's.And the lion in the garage was mentioned,the contributor Malcolm S stated that lion came from Knaresborough zoo when the zoo was closed in the 70's The then owner of the zoo thought it would be a good idea to take the lion home with him. He used to walk it on stainbeck lane on a leash,till it was taken off him by the RSPCA.

codotuk

Post by codotuk »

I remember being at scotthall school and hearing about the lion we were told it was in a house opposite the school that would have been stainbeck lane someone pointed out one of the houses, but i never saw the lion.