Lion in a garage - Scott Hall

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
buffaloskinner
PostsCOLON 1205
JoinedCOLON Sun 01 Apr, 2007 6:02 pm
LocationCOLON Nova Scotia

Re: Lion in a garage - Scott Hall

Postby buffaloskinner » Mon 01 May, 2017 7:09 pm

hyperion3 wroteColonJust been on a FB site, the subject was zoo's.And the lion in the garage was mentioned,the contributor Malcolm S stated that lion came from Knaresborough zoo when the zoo was closed in the 70's The then owner of the zoo thought it would be a good idea to take the lion home with him. He used to walk it on stainbeck lane on a leash,till it was taken off him by the RSPCA.

:arrow:
Never knew that Nick Nyoka and his wife Barbara lived in Leeds. Used to love the small zoo and took my daughter there many times when she was small.

:arrow:
Attachments
Nick Nyoka.jpg
Nick Nyoka.jpg (226.88 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Is this the end of the story ...
or the beginning of a legend?
Richard A Thackeray
PostsCOLON 333
JoinedCOLON Mon 13 Apr, 2009 6:01 am
LocationCOLON Normanton, Wakefield
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Richard A Thackeray » Mon 01 May, 2017 9:00 pm

Wasn't there a private zoo in Garforth, on the A63, in one of the big houses opposite the end of Lidgett Lane
I'm sure I remember seeing Monkeys in cages there, in the 70s
johnnyg
PostsCOLON 121
JoinedCOLON Tue 12 Feb, 2008 4:53 pm

Postby johnnyg » Tue 02 May, 2017 2:09 am

The lion was kept in a cage bolted to the side of the house on the corner of Wensley Crescent and Stainbeck lane, the right-hand corner as you are looking into the crescent. It was in the Evening Post at the time, but I have never been able to find any cuttings of it.

I lived about ten houses up on Stainbeck Lane and you could sometimes hear the lion on a night. It did get out once but the owner caught it and returned it to its cage. I always thought it was this escape that prompted the owners to sell it on. It wasn't kept there very long, only about 6 months if I remember correctly, and i think that it would have been about 1970/71.
volvojack
PostsCOLON 812
JoinedCOLON Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:57 am

Postby volvojack » Tue 02 May, 2017 10:50 am

This is an amazing story even though it is some years ago, I would not have fancied living nearby.

Also amazing are the collection of photos by johnnyg. who's website is above. I am only part way through looking at them and they really are fabulous.

MiggyBill
PostsCOLON 68
JoinedCOLON Fri 11 Mar, 2016 6:00 pm

Postby MiggyBill » Mon 08 May, 2017 2:34 pm

I remember seeing a guy walking down Meanwood Road with two young lions on leashes near the cricket pitch/Switchgear, on the opposite side of the road. This would be late 1979 to early 80's. Not sure if it was Nick Nyoko though.
I also remember going to Knaresborough Zoo, and stopping on the way to look at the pets cemetery. The big lion that Nick had was called Ricky, I believe Ricky was blind and used to sleep on the bed with Nick and his wife. I have some pics somewhere, will have to find them.
Off topic but does anyone remember Shipley Glen funfair?
buffaloskinner
PostsCOLON 1205
JoinedCOLON Sun 01 Apr, 2007 6:02 pm
LocationCOLON Nova Scotia

Postby buffaloskinner » Mon 08 May, 2017 6:03 pm

Have a look here for Shipley Glen

viewtopic.php?t=1133
Is this the end of the story ...
or the beginning of a legend?
Keeper
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Sun 04 Oct, 2015 6:33 pm

Postby Keeper » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 2:36 pm

Thank you everyone for the replies and for helping me make a bit more sense of the memory.

Life certainly seemed more colourful back then!

Return to