Coal Mining in East Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
The Parksider

Re: Re:

Post by The Parksider »

uncle mick wrote:
The Parksider wrote:
chameleon wrote:I found this, not much but more than we have so I'll add it
Worth digging this up again for the picture in question that won't reproduce here it's of the Foundry Mill and at page 22......

Credit the mighty Chameleon....
This one Parksider ?
Cham.jpg
Genius as usual Uncle Mick!

northernboy

Re:

Post by northernboy »

[quote="The Parksider"]warringtonrhino wrote: Water wheels and corn mills, I have the script of the talk given by E KIlburn Scott, in 1933 'Old water-wheel at Seacroft Leeds'. I have a map which I was commisioned to produce, (but not paid) of the Manston Collieries 1866 -Beston Park Bed it covers the area from Killingbeck Lodge to Ellen pit in Garforth

Apologies for jumping in on this, I'm new to the board.

However, I'm desperately trying to track down any information about Ellen Pit, the dates it was in operation and any plans or maps showing its operation. Can anyone help?

warringtonrhino

Re: Coal Mining in East Leeds

Post by warringtonrhino »

I did a map which is a compilation of various old colliery plans
Ellen Pit is in the bottom right hand corner
Please don't copy or distribute this drawing without permission.
Attachments
MANSTON COLLIERIES 1866.jpg
MANSTON COLLIERIES 1866.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 6137 times

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Great map, you have to download it,and look at it full size.

northernboy

Post by northernboy »

Brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing that map. I've been trying to find our if Ellen Pit was it's own colliery or whether it's part of Brown Moor and that map has answered that question!

I'm the archaeologist who's been running the field excavations at Thorpe Park and we excavated Ellen Pit; several more buildings were unearthed than shown on this map and I'm wondering if they're later additions (later than the 1866 map).

I've been given permission to share some of our data and was wondering if you'd be interested? However, would be possible to converse via email as the information can't enter the public domain just yet. I'm trying to track down documentary evidence of Ellen Pit, but I'm guessing because I now know that it's part of Brown Moor that there may not actually be much information?

harrym1byt

Re:

Post by harrym1byt »

bigpants wrote:plenty evidence in and around garforth. we had loads of small pits but the bigger ones were "the sisters", "the isabella" and "trench pit." spoil heaps from sisters and isabella are still there and one of the main buildings of the trench pit still exists. we played on the "pit 'ills" as kids and on the one from the sisters pit the capped shaft was still visible.
Old thread I know, but I failed to find a link posted to the Coal Authorities own website.

http://mapapps2.bgs.ac.uk/coalauthority/home.html

If you enter the name of the location you are interested, such as Garforth, it shows a local map of the area with all known shafts marked on the map. It doesn't differentiate between the various types of shaft, just shows a red X where the shafts are or were. It shows at a guess between 60 and 100, just in the Garforth area. The map also shows other mining features such as surface mining, coal outcrops and development risk areas.

Leodian

Re: Re:

Post by Leodian »

harrym1byt wrote:
bigpants wrote:plenty evidence in and around garforth. we had loads of small pits but the bigger ones were "the sisters", "the isabella" and "trench pit." spoil heaps from sisters and isabella are still there and one of the main buildings of the trench pit still exists. we played on the "pit 'ills" as kids and on the one from the sisters pit the capped shaft was still visible.
Old thread I know, but I failed to find a link posted to the Coal Authorities own website.

http://mapapps2.bgs.ac.uk/coalauthority/home.html

If you enter the name of the location you are interested, such as Garforth, it shows a local map of the area with all known shafts marked on the map. It doesn't differentiate between the various types of shaft, just shows a red X where the shafts are or were. It shows at a guess between 60 and 100, just in the Garforth area. The map also shows other mining features such as surface mining, coal outcrops and development risk areas.
Thanks harrym1byt for that link :).

It took me a while to mostly figure out what to do but the information I did find is very interesting. I knew there were old coal workings by where I used to live in east Leeds but the map showed there were many more than I thought.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Hi Zoe Middleton, you might find this thread interesting