Flood defence work has started near Victoria Bridge.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
buffaloskinner

Re: Flood defence work has started near Victoria Bridge.

Post by buffaloskinner »

I did this for Barfly back in April, which traces the beck from Bradford.

Tracing back on the 1913 map it seems to spring up by the Phoenix Park golf course at the back of Thornbury Roundabout:

From there it is called Tyersall Beck, then becomes Pudsey Beck, and then Farnley Beck, and then Wortley Beck, then Low Beck and finally becomes Hol Beck before emptying into the Aire.

There were also a number of mill streams which fed the various mills en route.

Much of the beck seems to be underground on todays maps
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I now think Hol Beck may be completely underground before it emerges at Water Lane. Searching other thread on here and having had another look at Google maps sattelite view it would appear Low Beck flows under, or just to the Gelderd Road side of, the M621 where it is joined by Mill Shaw Beck.
Its interesting what is highlighted as Holbeck on https://www.google.com/search?q=holbeck&oq=holbeck
HOLBECK.GIF
HOLBECK.GIF (40.25 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
Which has the boundary of Holbeck running alongside the M621 all th way to the Leeds-Huddersfield/Manchester railway lines.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

These are 3 photos that I took today (July 1 2015) on Water Lane of the open Hol Beck just before it is culverted for a short way before entering the River Aire. The first and second are downflow views and the third is an upflow view (shame about the litter!).

One thing that surprised me was that there were a lot of fish in the beck, ranging from small to at least 6 inches or more. There were also loads of fish (? trout) of all sizes in the first berthing area off the Leeds & Liverpool Canal just before that joins the river. If an heron finds them it will think Christmas has come early!

It was still possible to walk on the riverside path in front of the Direct Line building (a workman told me there is a delay in starting there) but access across the canal where there is work going on seemed to be restricted.
Attachments
Downstream view of Hol Beck taken on July 1 2015 from Water Lane shortly before the beck flows into the River Aire. I wonder why the channel is split?
Downstream view of Hol Beck taken on July 1 2015 from Water Lane shortly before the beck flows into the River Aire. I wonder why the channel is split?
142R.jpg (140.85 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Downstream view of Hol Beck taken on July 1 2015 from Water Lane shortly before the beck flows into the River Aire.
Downstream view of Hol Beck taken on July 1 2015 from Water Lane shortly before the beck flows into the River Aire.
139R.jpg (158.54 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Upstream view of Hol Beck taken on July 1 2015 from Water Lane shortly before the beck flows into the River Aire. Shame about the litter.
Upstream view of Hol Beck taken on July 1 2015 from Water Lane shortly before the beck flows into the River Aire. Shame about the litter.
146R.jpg (188.01 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Not an expert on why the channel is split however I could hazard a guess based on the entrance to the culvert is also vertically split but presumably for a very short distance. When the beck is in full flow rather than the "trickle" the vertical split would catch most debris getting on for half the width of the channel or above. This reduces the risk of something wedging across the full width of the channel while it is culverted. It would be a lot easier to remove said debris from the entrance than it would be from underground particularly if the full flow is going to be for several days.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

These are 3 photos of the flood defence work that I took on July 9 2015. There is now no public access on the immediate riverside path in front of the Direct Line building pending the start of work on that side of the River Aire.
Attachments
View of the flood defence work looking to Victoria Bridge (taken July 9 2015).
View of the flood defence work looking to Victoria Bridge (taken July 9 2015).
166R.jpg (136.36 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Zoomed-in view of the flood defence work (taken July 9 2015).
Zoomed-in view of the flood defence work (taken July 9 2015).
163R.jpg (176.78 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Photo of the flood defence work by the River Aire taken July 9 2015.
Photo of the flood defence work by the River Aire taken July 9 2015.
162R.jpg (141.56 KiB) Viewed 4453 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Work started in early July on flood defence work on the side of the River Aire in front of the Direct Line building. This photo (which I took today, July 23 2015) shows some of that work (Victoria Bridge is in the rear). The already protected river bank here does though look tall, so I wonder how often that area has flooded? Perhaps the current work there may be more to do with stopping people falling into the river.
Attachments
Flood defence work by the River Aire near Victoria Bridge (July 23 2015).
Flood defence work by the River Aire near Victoria Bridge (July 23 2015).
207R.jpg (118.54 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

rikj

Post by rikj »

Eight years ago the Aire came about as near to flooding the city centre as it ever has. June 25th 2007 was just torrential rain all day; not only in Leeds but right over the catchment area of the river. Looking back at photos taken in the early evening the Hol Beck outfall into the Aire is completely underwater. Another inch or two and that would have been it. I'm sure that will be flood defence work there.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

rikj wrote:Eight years ago the Aire came about as near to flooding the city centre as it ever has. June 25th 2007 was just torrential rain all day; not only in Leeds but right over the catchment area of the river. Looking back at photos taken in the early evening the Hol Beck outfall into the Aire is completely underwater. Another inch or two and that would have been it. I'm sure that will be flood defence work there.
Cheers for that rikj :).

I now recall that flooding event which if I remember correctly either badly affected, or came extremely close to badly affecting, buildings in the Brewery Wharf area just a short way downriver from the Victoria Bridge area.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

January 21 2008 is the one I remember the flooding from, even British Waterways was flooded

:arrow:
Attachments
Leeds-Flood_Jan 21.jpg
Leeds-Flood_Jan 21.jpg (85.29 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
East Street.jpg
East Street.jpg (20.46 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
Brewery-Wharf.jpg
Brewery-Wharf.jpg (182.12 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks buffaloskinner for those photos :). That was an even more impressive flood event than I recall.