Flood defence work has started near Victoria Bridge.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Re: Flood defence work has started near Victoria Bridge.

Post by Leodian »

Does anyone know when the current outflow of Hol Beck into the River Aire was built to replace the old outflow and possibly also why the new one was constructed?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote:Does anyone know when the current outflow of Hol Beck into the River Aire was built to replace the old outflow and possibly also why the new one was constructed?
This suggests it was after 1972
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
but it would be another 10 years before I would cross Victoria Bridge regularly and even then I would take little interest in where the beck enters the Aire. I would have thought building foundations would be a prime suspect for diversion but I only ever remember the area being wasteground or paved and it obviously wasn't for the BMG Group building. Of course it is possible the old flow of the beck was threatening the existing foundations of that building. One other theory would be the kink would slow water flow and increase the risk of "clogging up" so it could simply have been a flood protection measure to straighten and therefore speed the flow.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jim

Post by jim »

Checking the 1906 (South Leeds) Godfrey map, there was a conglomeration of small buildings lining both sides of the original beck course between the outfall and the point where the beck left the side of Water Lane by the later printing machine works (Crabtrees?). There was also a triangular area adjacent to Water Lane containing a group of buildings and what looks like a road access to a small wharf.

The end of Water Lane itself was some distance south of its present limits, and I remember the end buildings very well in the 1950s and 60s, as they were those of the Water Lane transport cafe which later moved to David Street. It became known to us as "The Mousehole" - but that's another story - and after a further move more recently it's successor is still operating further along Water Lane.

To return to the topic, I would suggest that when the area was cleared and the newer roadworks at the Water Lane/Victoria Road junction were carried out, the opportunity to create a wider and easier flowing exit for the beck was probably taken.
Last edited by jim on Thu 25 Jun, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Here is a picture from Leodis in 1930 where you can clearly see the tributary of Hol Beck into the Aire, also the small buildings / warehouses which were at the side of the beck.
Looking at the picture I believe it would have been possible to get canal barges into the tributary.
The sign at the entrance to the tributary states "Arches to Let"

:arrow:
Attachments
Victoria Bridge 1930.JPG
Victoria Bridge 1930.JPG (208.9 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers tyke bhoy, jim and buffaloskinner :).

The photos are fascinating in showing how some parts still look the same but much of the area has changed dramatically.

PS. There are notices in the area stating that work relating to the flood defence work is to start on July 1st on the opposite side of the river and for 6 weeks there will be no access from Neville Street on the riverside path running in front of the Direct Line building (presumably as far as the footbridge over the river).

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote:C

PS. There are notices in the area stating that work relating to the flood defence work is to start on July 1st on the opposite side of the river and for 6 weeks there will be no access from Neville Street on the riverside path running in front of the Direct Line building (presumably as far as the footbridge over the river).
Wonderful! Just after Little Neville Street has reopened after its 3 week closure turned into a slightly over 4 week one ;)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Got the free water taxi today. Grabbed some shots.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 3487 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers for that interesting image Cardiarms :). It seems to show daylight quite close to the outflow, so Hol Beck must not be culverted quite close to at least there. I really must have a good wander around the area.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote:Cheers for that interesting image Cardiarms :). It seems to show daylight quite close to the outflow, so Hol Beck must not be culverted quite close to at least there. I really must have a good wander around the area.
Leo as mentioned the beck only goes underground adjacent to the Georgian style building. Rigidly channeled but certainly not culverted you can trace the beck back, and adjacent to, all but the last 30/40 yards of Water Lane into the more residential Holbeck. From there backwards it is predominantly underground until the ring road

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks tyke bhoy for that information :).