The Bank Street Gate at Trinity Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

The Bank Street Gate at Trinity Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

There is a nice ornamental work on a 2013 metal gate at the Bank Street access/egress to the Trinity Leeds centre. I've never seen the gate closed but when open some of it is not easy to see due to brickwork behind it. I however took these photos of the gate on January 27 2015. The first shows the left side (coming out of Trinity Leeds). In what can be readily seen there are many features relating to work that used to be common in Leeds. Such sites as the Town Hall and Civic Hall (?) can be made out in the poorly visible part. There seems to be Charlie Chaplin at the bottom, who I'm guessing may be there because he at least once appeared at the City Varieties (or what ever it might have been called then). The second shows the smaller part of the gate at the right coming out of the centre. The third shows the plaque about Ian Judd (the gate artist) on a wall by the main part of the gate. I did not try to take photos of a similar style gate at the Boar Lane access/egress point.

PS. I seem to currently be monopolising new posts to SL so I hope that is not considered to have become boring.
Attachments
009R.jpg
009R.jpg (134.5 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
010R.jpg
010R.jpg (107.8 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
012R.jpg
012R.jpg (42.56 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
Last edited by Leodian on Fri 30 Jan, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Re: The Bank Street Gate at Trinity Leeds.

Post by tilly »

Hi Leodian All i can say is keep up the good work has for being boring thats the last thing i would call you.I enjoy your photographs and look forward to many more.I only wish i could be more mobile i would be out with my camera doing the same has you.All the best Sid. :)
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tilly wrote:Hi Leodian All i can say is keep up the good work has for being boring thats the last thing i would call you.I enjoy your photographs and look forward to many more.I only wish i could be more mobile i would be out with my camera doing the same has you.All the best Sid. :)
Cheers Sid for those nice words. :)

PS. I've amended what was "plague" in my original post to "plaque" that it should have been. My misuse of the wrong word! :oops:

liits

Post by liits »

Leodian wrote: PS. I seem to currently be monopolising new posts to SL so I hope that is not considered to have become boring.
Look at the photos on Leodis. How many of them are anything other than the ordinary street scene - and where would we be without it?

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

liits wrote:
Leodian wrote: PS. I seem to currently be monopolising new posts to SL so I hope that is not considered to have become boring.
Look at the photos on Leodis. How many of them are anything other than the ordinary street scene - and where would we be without it?
Agreed plus as well Leo whereas those old photos were sometimes out of focus and of poor quality, your stuff is vibrant clear digital photography and will be used by the social historians of the future to give a very clear picture of street life in Leeds at this point in time.

loiner99

Post by loiner99 »

Such a marvellous piece of art deserves a more prominent position
batchoy

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

As the photos I have already posted are no longer showing (at least on my computer) this is a photo of the ornate gate on Bank Street that I took on December 11 2018. I've never seen the gate shut but as I'm never in the centre of Leeds very late I assume that the gate does get closed when the Trinity Centre closes for the night.
GateOnBankStreetEntryExitTrinityCentreLeedsDec112018..jpg
GateOnBankStreetEntryExitTrinityCentreLeedsDec112018..jpg (121.7 KiB) Viewed 3298 times