Ludgate Hill.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
iansmithofotley

Re: Ludgate Hill.

Post by iansmithofotley »

mhoulden wrote:You can switch off the Old Maps blue rectangle by clicking the "switch print extent off" button. This is in the bar that says "Use of this map viewer is made available solely for non-commercial purposes" and next to the "full screen" button. Being able to do that makes the maps a lot easier to use.
Hi mhoulden,

Thank you for that information.

Ian

andyart

Post by andyart »

Ludgate or Lid Gate was mentioned by Thoresby in connection with a place called Tower Hill. He says that it was at the highest point in the city and workmen digging a reservoir in 1695 found some large foundations and walls which he beleived to be a tower. I think the place he was talking of was near the Gradn theatre...this is also my personal likely place of where the roman fort could have been located based upon the orientiation of roads and the hints at military fortified structures....what do people think~?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

andyart wrote:Ludgate or Lid Gate was mentioned by Thoresby in connection with a place called Tower Hill. He says that it was at the highest point in the city and workmen digging a reservoir in 1695 found some large foundations and walls which he beleived to be a tower. I think the place he was talking of was near the Gradn theatre...this is also my personal likely place of where the roman fort could have been located based upon the orientiation of roads and the hints at military fortified structures....what do people think~?
Hi andyart :). That is an interesting thought about a Roman fort.

It's a shame that Leeds in general has so little known definite Roman remains. As far as I'm aware the only consensually accepted ones are the road and possible structures around Adel and nearby area. With such as York, Ilkley and Castleford there were Roman towns around what would have been the site that became Leeds.

Interestingly, during a walk I had on May 13th I passed the Pompocali site next to Hetchell Woods near Bardsey (it's part of Leeds!). That intriguing site may or may not have a Roman connection, being next to what may or may not have been a Roman ford that may or may not be part of the Roman road that ran from Ilkley to Tadcaster and part of which is the Roman road near Adel.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

polos

Post by polos »

I beleive this has been discussed before but i did my own research on this a while ago. Lidgate was the name for the now bottom part of woodhouse lane stretching roughly to where FAB cafe is now, but after reading the guide to leeds and alf mattisons book apparently the whole area around now dortmund square was called lidgate.
The meaning of lidgate (ive heard 2 meanings for this but they could both be right) is a populous gate that many people passed through or as prev mentioned on here it (ludgate different spelling) was literally a gate with a lid which is to be seen in the entrance of st johns and was commonly the entrance to the church.
Ill explain why im convinced this is correct.
On the old maps there was more than one entrance to st johns that went off at an angle across modern day dortmund sq so that was in all probability the entrance to the church even though it no longer exists along with the street area name.
Now coming to ludgate hill the markets were built on a vicars croft which was a vast amount of land at the time containing the old chantry, i dont beleive its a stretch of imagination that Ludgate hill was the entrance to the church grounds of st peters back in the day.
Id love to know any thouhts on this cheers

andyart

Post by andyart »

Hi sorry lost my log in details but this subject is still fascinating. Leeds was the likely place for Cambodunum But I'm still not convinced by quarry hill as the site or a Roman settlement. Lid gate definitions are v interesting....but St. John's church was only built in the 17th century.? So could lid gate actually be referring to some defensive gate??

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Don't forget gate is also a medieval (or older) term for a street as in Briggate and Kirkgate being Bridge and Church Streets respectively
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/