Rowland Emett's "Heath Robinson Clock" - Merrion Centre

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Reginal Perrin

Rowland Emett's "Heath Robinson Clock" - Merrion Centre

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Where has it gone?
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Nowhere! It's still there mate It does get moved in the winter for a Christmas display, and for various other exhibits ... but it is currently in place (or was the other day when I was in the Merrion.)Cheers,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

It moved from where it used to be near the Phono to outisde Morrisons years ago.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

dsco wrote: Nowhere! It's still there mate It does get moved in the winter for a Christmas display, and for various other exhibits ... but it is currently in place (or was the other day when I was in the Merrion.)Cheers,dsco Cool. I must have last been in around Christmas then. Surprised it was not there.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

thenakedbedlamper

Post by thenakedbedlamper »

HiThe Clock in the merrion centre isn't actually a Heath Robinson Clock, although very similar, it was designed by Rowland Emmett. Rowland Emmett was a close friend of the late Arnold Ziff, who's company TCS developed and still own the merrion centre. As a child of about 2 (my mother says), if i was to past the clock with my mum, when it stuck on the hour, with it music playing and all the mechanics going, apparently I would burst out into tears terrified. Laughably I still carry this fear with me today (I'm 27!), it freaks me out, I don't think I've looked at it for about 20 years. If I do have to walk past it, my hairs stand on end, I can't look at it, and god forbid if it stikes on the hour... you'll see me legging it with my fingers in my ears. My friends find it amusing if we're on a night out passing it, to pick me up press my face against the glass of the clock and try and force me to look at it lol. My sister use to work for the company TCS in the merrion centre and took great pleasure in telling me that the Ziff family had a collection of Emmett clocks in the basement of the merrion centre, and if I was nice to her, she would 'arrange' for to take a visit there! Anyone think I need help?Kev

Letty

Post by Letty »

Was there two of them. One at the other end as well. or has the wine got to me tongith and did it move. Anyways I remember it well. I spent hours watching it when it struck the hour. They were quite famous at one stage.

thenakedbedlamper

Yeah they moved it, it use to be outside the jug pub, but they mved it to where it is now outside morrisons

em6

Post by em6 »

I LOVE that thing. I used to go there and just wait for the hour to strike. It makes me quite inordinately happy. Whenever I'm back in Leeds, I have to go and see it. I did get quite freaked out one Christmas when I couldn't find it. It worries me that they move it about so much. It seems fairly fragile, and I can't imagine it's good for it to be bumped and dragged all over the place. Does anyone know if the Ziffs are thinking of making their collection public, by any chance?I've been trying to find a picture of this on the internet but i can't remember it's actual title. Does anyone know? It's hard to do an image search without a name!On a totally separate topic, I'm told The Dreamer statue has vanished from LUU campus. Does anyone know where it went?
luvem

thenakedbedlamper

Hi em6, I think the clocks name is the Featherstone-Kite. There's a bit more about Mr Emmett and a photo of one of the copies of the Featherstone-kite, on this link .http://www.mech.mcmaster.ca/~nyet/emett ... es_Regards Kev

Penz

Post by Penz »

Does anyone know if there's a video of this wonderful machine anywhere on t'internet.I live in Cornwall now and having told people down here about it, I would love to be able to show them it workingI've looked on Youtube Etc. but no successPaul