Rowland Emett's "Heath Robinson Clock" - Merrion Centre

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Here's something else to keep you occupied http://blueballfixed.ytmnd.com/
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Caron wrote: Well I hope the Flying Machine is being cared for somewhere safe. I loved it. Brilliant! Thanks for the pic, Phill. Phil, wasn't it you who found/saw/heard they were stored in the bowels of the Merrion Centre some time ago?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

chameleon wrote: Caron wrote: Well I hope the Flying Machine is being cared for somewhere safe. I loved it. Brilliant! Thanks for the pic, Phill. Phil, wasn't it you who found/saw/heard they were stored in the bowels of the Merrion Centre some time ago? Not me I'm afraid, my only dealings with Town Centre Securities who own the Merrion are very negative indeed. They are very anti documentation and do a great job of hiding our cities past and history. I don't have a good word to say about them.I'm sure I've ranted about them on here before!!         
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I've just been looking at the Town Centres Securities website and I notice that its company address is 'Town Centre Securities PLC. Town Centre House. The Merrion Centre. Leeds. LS2 8LY'. I knew it is Leeds based but I hadn't realised that the Merrion Centre is in LS2 and not LS1 that I would have guessed!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Here is a video of some of Rowland Emmets inventions in motionhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apCGmsbFdQQPersonally I think the guy is amazingly talented, it's true eccentrics like him that make the world a far more interesting place!! I agree. The sort of guy you'd have loved as an uncle. Thanks for the links (can't stop watching them!).

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: chameleon wrote: Caron wrote: Well I hope the Flying Machine is being cared for somewhere safe. I loved it. Brilliant! Thanks for the pic, Phill. Phil, wasn't it you who found/saw/heard they were stored in the bowels of the Merrion Centre some time ago? Not me I'm afraid, my only dealings with Town Centre Securities who own the Merrion are very negative indeed. They are very anti documentation and do a great job of hiding our cities past and history. I don't have a good word to say about them.I'm sure I've ranted about them on here before!!          Yes, I remember your issues with them on matters past - wonder where I saw this info....

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

Hi again,I did have a post on here re Emmetts contraptions. I live in Nottingham now and we have one in the Victoria Shopping Centre.It is called the Water Clock or Emmetts name The Aqua Tintinnabulator - laugh. Well its been unable to work forquite a few years now. I heard today that a man has mendedit and it took 3 years to get all the working parts working again.I have seen on YouTube this clock but they didnt get the sound or it working so will go down to the Vic Centre soon and do avideo which I will put on YouTube. It is so fantastic when itworks and was chuffed to find it from 1973 in Nottinghamwhen I had left the Flying Machine in Leeds.Great guy and all of his ideas. Not good at putting webpages on but if you do a search forThe Water Clock, Victoria Centre Nottingham you should findit on YouTube.    
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

ArmleyLass47 wrote: Hi again,I did have a post on here re Emmetts contraptions. I live in Nottingham now and we have one in the Victoria Shopping Centre.It is called the Water Clock or Emmetts name The Aqua Tintinnabulator - laugh. Well its been unable to work forquite a few years now. I heard today that a man has mendedit and it took 3 years to get all the working parts working again.I have seen on YouTube this clock but they didnt get the sound or it working so will go down to the Vic Centre soon and do avideo which I will put on YouTube. It is so fantastic when itworks and was chuffed to find it from 1973 in Nottinghamwhen I had left the Flying Machine in Leeds.Great guy and all of his ideas. Not good at putting webpages on but if you do a search forThe Water Clock, Victoria Centre Nottingham you should findit on YouTube.     Cheers.....will look for this one.Should never have took our contraption away.Bet it would still be a big crowd puller,even today.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Cellist

Post by Cellist »

I remember the Flying Machine very well including the music.As I recall it, it was harpsichord music... similar in style to Scarlatti. Does anyone know what the actual piece of music was?I've searched around in youtube and on music search sites without success.Thanks

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Rowland with the Featherstone Kite, two of which exist:http://www.britishpathe.com/search/quer ... playlist/1