whereabouts in Leeds are forum members from?

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
shutthatdoor

Re: whereabouts in Leeds are forum members from?

Post by shutthatdoor »

Glad to read of so many Armley folks on the site. Ditto :)
'Eeh! That's thrown fat on t' fire'

frostfan

Post by frostfan »

Not from Leeds, in fact not from UK at all. I am from Australia, live in a rural city - Maryborough, in the state of Queensland.

Steve266

Post by Steve266 »

Born 1949 Hyde Terrace
0 to 16 Beechwood Crescent Ls 4 (Was Burley Now Lower Headingley) Pretentious or what
16 to 23 Green Close Meanwood Ls 6
23 to 26 Claremont Crescent Meanwood Ls 6
26 to 28 Woodhall Drive Hawksworth Ls 5
28 to 57 Appletree Drive Hambleton yo8
57 to now Calle Sirio La Campana Marbella 29660

Still visit Meanwood as my mother still lives there grand old age of 90 and 3/4
life is not a dress rehearsal

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I was born in Leeds (LGI, I think) and have spent most of my life here. Originally from Horsforth then moving to Calverley and Rawdon before coming back to Horsforth.
I've also, apart from a brief excursion out of the boundaries, spent most of my working life in Leeds mostly in the environs of Gelderd Road but also in the Centre.
I've visited a few other cities and villages in the rest of the world and I don't think it's bias that makes me type I think Leeds is a very decent place to be.

Pete

Post by Pete »

Good Morning All.

Born in Leeds 1933. Lived in Alwoodley The Drive 1933-1953. Singapore 1953-1956.

Back to Alwoodley until early 1957 then came to Canada. Lived many places in Canada
until we settled down in Kamloops B.C. in 1985.

Kamloops a nice place to live.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Pete nice to have you on board i was just thinking when i was a kid there was no way i could have replied to you.in an instant.I tend to take technology for granted But the more i think about how things have changed the more i appreciate what science has achieved in my lifetime. Canada wow what a place to live i hope you and your family are well.Born Hunslet 1942 moved to Saxton Gardens 1959 slum clearance then Married went to live in Sutton Bridge in Lincs Back to Leeds Kirkstall then Bramley then Seacroft then Horsforth then Pudsey were i still live.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Pete wrote: Kamloops a nice place to live.
Give our regards to Canada's version of Nessie ;)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Pete :).

I wonder if you have any memories of Verity's place where tea was served but of which there are very little signs now of the building and also water that could be drunk from the Babbling Baby/Slavering Baby spring which is still there but weathered a lot now compared to old photos that I've seen. The 'bunker' in the wood at a small old quarry near Stairfoot Lane has had mentions in Secret Leeds and I wonder if you recall it being built? It was to be used as a storage area for documents in case of war but I understand it was unsuitable due to damp (it has been sealed off by stones then a locked metal door for many years now). There is also a small feature dug into the ground near the house at Stairfoot Bridge that has been of interest in Secret Leeds as to what it may have been used for (one suggestion being that it may have been an ice store). You may be interested to hear that the Seven Arches Viaduct is still there (it had some remedial work done some years back to stop it collapsing).

Sorry for going off-thread but it seemed as good a place as any to ask.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

WilfredMay

Post by WilfredMay »

I was born at number 9 Easy Road in 1947, (Cross Green); those houses no longer exist, my father joined the R.A.Fand we moved away from Leeds in 1956, we never returned, I now reside in Sweden.

KazKay

Post by KazKay »

Born on Kirkstall road and then spent the first 25 years in Adel, then on being married
moving to Rodley Leeds.

For the past 12 years retired to Bridlington, happy memories of Leeds.
k Gill