Historical events in Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Can anyone help? I need to find out any interesting facts about Leeds between 1910 and 1920 for a display at work. Anyone got any ideas. Thanks, in advance, to anyone who helps

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

http://www.leeds-uk.com/history/history-7.htmNot much there but a couple to be going on with.Although whoever wrote it thinks the Cenotaph was 'sighted' rather than sited in City Square.Ahoy there Cenotaph!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

First traffic lights? They were Park Row, but can't remember if it was after 1920 now? (It's been a long day!)

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Or was that the first traffic lights in Leeds?...I'm going to stand back gracefully now

farbank

Post by farbank »

The great Harry Houdini very nearly met his end in Leeds ,during Feb. 1911. And Tetley bitter played a big part in this story.Due to appear the week comm.6th.Feb.,at the Briggate Empire theatre, Houdini invited challenges from local firms to devise means of securing him against escape. A challenge that nobody had ever managed to complete. He had escaped previously throughout his career from prison cells; sealed metal coffin; straitjackets and burglar-proof safes. But all was to fail him that particular day. When challenged to escape from his water tank, filled with ale from the Tetley Brewery.!Filling the tank with beer, and securely padlocking Houdini inside behind the surrounding curtain. Everyone awaited his reappearance. But the unforseen happened. Houdini, who didn't drink, was overcome by the fumes of the alcohol. And had it not been for a chap called Franz Kukol, disturbed by the quiet behind the screen, dashed to his rescue and hauled him semi-conscious from the tank. [I remember the feeling many times, when the ''fumes'' got to me too.]It was reported that Houdini was in no laughing mood when asked about it later.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

There should be a lot of tales about WW1. The Leeds pals & stuff!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

farbank

Post by farbank »

The countrys first 'permanent' automatic electric traffic lights.Started in Leeds by policeman on point duty, in front of a huge crowd. Alas in March 1928.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

How about Leeds City F.C expelled from the Football league in 1919 for 'financial irregularities' and wound up. Leeds United formed later the same year.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

drapesy wrote: How about Leeds City F.C expelled from the Football league in 1919 for 'financial irregularities' and wound up. Leeds United formed later the same year. How apposite!

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

I hadn't noticed this part of Leodis before. Playbills between 1910 and 1920: http://www.leodis.net/playbills/result.asp